thirty! ⋆ ISN'T IT TIME YOU DIED

Începe de la început

Max furrowed her brows, looking over at the older girl. "You okay?"

"Yeah," she whispered and nodded her head. She reached into her bag, pulling out a bag of sour skittles and handing them to the redhead. She quickly opened them and began to share them with Lucas.

Kate sat back in her seat, looking over at Will, who was clutching the back of his neck. The two shared a short apprehensive gaze, before turning back to the big screen. They both knew something was happening. The only problem was that they didn't know what.

KATE GOT A JOB AS a lifeguard at the local pool to make some extra money while she was back home

KATE GOT A JOB AS a lifeguard at the local pool to make some extra money while she was back home. The work was easy and it paid oddly well – it was the perfect job, in theory. However, nothing could be completely flawless.

Billy Hargrove was meant to be her partner for the second half of her shift. He hadn't been there since Kate had started the job, but according to her manager, Adam, he was set to be coming back today.

Heather Holloway was her partner for the first half of the job. They weren't really friends by any means, they never hung out after hours or called to check up on each other when one of them didn't show up to work. But Kate enjoyed working with Heather, and found it insanely easy to talk about anything with her

The brunette sighed before beginning to climb down the ladder of the lifeguard chair. Kate, who's sat in the chair right next to Heather, stopped her abruptly.

"Where are you going?"

She furrowed her brows. "Taking my lunch break?"

"Can you, please, wait for me? I don't want to be up here with him–"

"If I don't take it now, Adam won't let me take it all," the girl shook her head before smirking slightly. "Just play nice."

As Heather walked down the side of the pool to break room, Kate could visibly see the mothers getting ready for Billy to make an appearance. The forty-year-old women began fixing their hair and making sure their makeup looked good, before doing some not-so-natural pose. The blonde rolled her eye; they couldn't be more obvious if they tried.

The blonde haired man eventually exited the back room and began walking up to the chairs. The woman waved at him and Billy slid his sunglasses down his nose to get a better look at them. "Afternoon, ladies... Dig the new suit, Mrs. Wheeler."

Kate kept her eyes straight ahead as Billy climbed up the ladder and sat next to her. She thought, maybe if she didn't look at him, he'd get the hint and know not to talk to her. But she knew he was far too stubborn to do that.

"How was New York?" he asked, not looking at her either.

"Why do you care?" she snapped. It was obvious her harsh response caught him off guard, and it did her too. But, in Kate's defence, the last time she saw Billy, he almost killed Steve.

"Why are you such a bitch?"

"Because you're an asshole."

She inhaled sharply and could see Billy clench his fists angrily next to her. Silence settled between the two of them, instead, the yells of happy swimmers filled their ears.

Kate began to feel bad. She hadn't seen Billy in months; and maybe he was different now. Maybe he was ready to stop being the douchebag everyone knew him to be. Maybe, she thought, he'd finally changed.

"It was good," she muttered under her breath.

"What?"

"The trip," Kate said louder, finally looking over at him. "It was good."

Billy nodded, using his finger to push his glasses further up the bridge of his nose. "I just wish I got to see you before you left. I called one day, and your dad answered, telling me you were gone."

"I didn't think you cared the much," she whispered, honestly.

"Of course, I do."

The conversation ended there and Kate found herself reflecting on how her life had changed since she meant Billy Hargrove. The start of their relationship was rough to say the least, but in their short time together, Kate learned more about Billy than his own dad probably knew.

In all honesty, she missed him. But, she wasn't sure if she just missed the idea of him more.