“I jumped with Thomas. When Elsie fell, we were going to jump to find her and then figure out a way to get back up. Well, that’s probably not going to be as easy as we expected it to be,” I admitted and sighed. “You know any way to get back up there?”

Ethan shook his head. “I don’t really want to go up there, so I never really looked for a way up,” he admitted.

“Why not? Why are you down here anyway?” I quickly add another part to the end of my question. “If you don’t mind me asking of course.”

He just sighed. “It’s a long story,” he said softly and turned away slightly.

“I’ve got time,” I said, walking over and leaning against the wall beside him.

Ethan looked a little uncomfortable, but he spoke. “I, well…I wasn’t really accepted up there. I was different, a reject from everybody else. So, I had to get out. I couldn’t leave the Isle. They wouldn’t let me even if I asked. So, the only option I had was the Zipper. I jumped.” He frowned a bit and looked at his hands. “I was fourteen.”

I was silent for a minute, unsure of what to say to him. He must have had a hard childhood. I felt so sorry for him. “I…I’m sorry.”

“It’s been four years. I’m over it,” Ethan said plainly, not meeting my eyes.

“So it’s okay here now?” I asked.

He nodded quickly and smiled faintly. “Yeah. Neil told me that this was basically the Restless Isle reject pile, and everyone is accepting around here of people’s differences. If only up there could be the same way,” he said with a frown.

“Maybe someday it will be, and then you’ll go back and be the most well-liked person in the whole place,” I said with a small smile in his direction.

“Maybe…” was all he said.

I looked at him. “So, Ethan, where do you think my sister is?” I asked him.

“I can probably find her. Follow me, Molly,” he answered. He stood up straight and walked off towards the other hallway. I followed close behind, knowing I’d get lost around here if I didn’t do it.

“Thanks,” I told him with a small smile as we walked.

“What, for showing you where your sister is? No problem,” Ethan answered. He messed his hair up slightly and kept walking. He made a turn or two before reaching an open space. Shailene was sitting in the middle, facing away from us as she looked at the wall. But, there was no Elsie around. “Hey Shay!” Ethan called to her, cupping his hands to make a mini megaphone.

Shailene’s head spun around and she faced him. “Ethan? Oh, hey. What’s up?” She asked softly and curiously. “Need anything?”

“Well, where’s little miss Elsie?” Ethan asked. “Molly’s looking for her. She’s feeling deprived of sisterly love,” he teased, to which I rolled my eyes.