Introduction

Bonjour, lovely people of Wattpad! I noticed a lot of people writing books about cliches, and that persuaded me to write a book of cliches on my own. Before we get started I would like to define tropes and cliches, and how they will be used in the context of this book.

Tropes: the definition is vague, but for the sake of this book, a trope is a specific device used to forward the plot, whether it is character development, a(n) conflict/obstacle, or descriptive text.

Cliche: a cliche is what happens when someone attempts to use a specific trope, but it doesn't land correctly or fit into the story itself.

Another important term is Sturgeon's Revelation, aka Sturgeon's Law. It states:

1. "Nothing is always absolutely so."

2. "90% of everything is crap."

According to Sturgeon's Law, most of the books on Wattpad are going to be crap. You'll have to really dig to find books worth reading. However, Sturgeon's law also says that most of the 10% of books worth reading are subjectively crap, and only 10% percent of that is worth reading. This also applies to the 90% of objective crap mentioned above in the list. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

That being said, the statements made within this book are just my personal opinion. They do not represent the entirety of all the opinions on Wattpad; I'm not the people's mouthpiece. This is not going to be a rant book, and I'm not going to go out of my way to attack the people that have cliches in their books. If you want to see that, go read someone else's book.

Thank you in advance for reading my book, and I hope the advice I give out helps you in some way. Au revoir!