Astonished, Rosalind stared up at him. "You changed your mind? When?"

"Almost as soon as I shut the door last night when I left our room, " Evan said with a sigh. "I didn't think you would let me back in. I had no right to speak so harshly to you. You had advice to share and I should have listened straightaway."

"But your trunk is down here."

"I didn't think you would want to see me after we quarreled so." Evan shifted uncomfortably. "I didn't want to ruin the rest of your visit here. I was going to go to Darkhall and then return to you at the end of the party."
"I hope you know just how much I want to slap you for even thinking such a thing!" Instead of doing so, Rosalind wrapped her arms around her husband's waist. "But if you wish to go to Darkhall, we can go. I will have no complaints."
"Tempting though it is to have you all to myself, I think the polite thing to do would be to remain to the end of the week. I don't think you've properly shown the neighborhood your true worth." Evan bent his head again.

A footman entered the hall. "Your carriage is ready, my lord."
Rosalind huffed at the interruption. A flush spread up Evan's neck as he turned to the door. "Ah. Yes. Right. As it happens—"

"I've convinced his lordship to change his mind," Rosalind said, smiling up at her husband. "Please apologize to everyone in the stable for us. I'm sure his lordship will make the trouble...worth it."
Without hesitation, Evan brought several coins out. "Women," he said, shaking his head with mock resignation. "Sorry for the trouble. If you could have someone carry up my trunk. It would seem we are to remain a while longer."

Face impassive, the footman stepped forward to accept the coins. "Of course, my lord."

Rosalind tugged on her husband's hand to reclaim his attention. "If you will join me upstairs, there's something I would very much like to tell you," she said in a low voice.

Raising an eyebrow, Evan allowed her to lead him up the stairs. "I'm not sure I can stand the suspense, my dear."
"I assure you, the wait is well worth it."

****

A gentle knock sounded on the bedroom door shortly after one o'clock and woke Rosalind. She straightened up, her hand immediately going to smooth her rumpled gown. "A moment, please," she called, shaking Evan's shoulder. "Evan, wake up."

Her husband groaned sleepily and tightened his grip around her waist. He hadn't let go of her since she told him she suspected she was with child. They had fallen asleep, both exhausted after the previous night. As wonderful as the display of affection was, Rosalind was appalled at the hour.

"Evan, wake up!"

Finally, Evan opened his eyes. "What?" he asked groggily.

"Someone is at the door."

Shaking his head, the man let go of her and rolled off the bed. He ran a hand through his tousled blond hair and adjusted his jacket. "Right," he said, shaking his head as if to clear it. He walked to the door and opened it.

"Well, I'm sure I do not want to know what you have been doing in bed at this time of the day, " Emily said primly as she stepped in, "or why you are still here after you said you would be departing for London at dawn. However, you are needed in the Drawing room."

"Needed? Why?" Rosalind asked in confusion.
"Because the Dowager Lady Emberdown has arrived and she insists she needs to see you."

Evan's mother? Rosalind felt the blood drain from her face. "My mother?" Evan exclaimed in surprise.

"Yes. She has said she will wait until you are available. Emily raised an eyebrow. "You both may want to take some time to compose yourselves."

"Of course," Rosalind said hastily. "We will be down shortly. Thank you, Emily."