2

"So, you killed a nobleman for forcing himself onto a serving girl in the tavern you frequented, and no one else saw this?" The woman cocked a brow at him, and his shoulders slumped. "No, they did, its just..." The male sighed in defeat. "You don't live in the city, so you don't understand."

"Bullshit. And if I don't, make me understand. I'm putting my safety and life on the line by lying to that guard and letting you stay here."

"I suppose you're right, though I'm not sure why you even decided to let me stay." He gave a charming smirk which made his dark eyes shine brightly in the dim candle light. "At this point, neither do I." She crossed her arms.

"Look at it this way, no one in the city has any power, lest you're a noble or plain royalty. You can get away with even murder if you have enough coin."

"Which I'm assuming you didn't." The male snorted, his lips turning into a smirk. "Hardly. I had spent most of my sovereigns at the tavern that night on ale and mead, but I digress. The guards would simply look the other way if you were to slip them a few dozen coins or so. They're corrupt. And if I hadn't been there, if I hadn't stopped him..." Guido's expression turned dark as he gazed at the dusty floor. His eyes seem distant. "I saw the look on her face, and heard her screams and pleas for help. Everyone did. If I hadn't shot the man, she would be dead, or wishing she was." He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth. "And the blasted guardsmen would have just let it happen." He stood abruptly, and ran a hand through his dark tresses. The woman took the chance to take in his appearance. His leather armor was rugged and tattered, several slices and cuts ran along the sides of his tunic. Cascading down his back, a dark fabric fell, seeming to have once been a hood.

The woman sighed. She couldn't just throw him back out to the wolves, least of all in that condition. She knew what she was about to suggest was risky and out of her usual routine, but she would make an exception, just this once.

"I have to go into the city tomorrow. I require more meats for stew and some...  essentials as well. I could scrounge up a few sovereigns to put towards some new armor for you."

The male turned to her, his dark eyes locking onto her own (E/C) optics. He took in her messy hair, and dirty tunic that slid off both of her shoulders, held up only by the tightly laced corset that hugged her curves in just the right way. His eyes traveled to her skirt that was tied on her right side to reveal up to her mid thigh. A scarf was wrapped around her waist to keep the skirt snug and secure. She was barefoot, only a single anklet wrapped around her right ankle. Guido's tongue instinctively swiped across his lips, before a snicker erupted from his chest. He covered his mouth with his hand. "You intend to go out like that?"

"I'll wear a cloak and so will you." She said, as she met his gaze, before breaking it and turning to her stew that had been cooking the entire time. "And it seems our dinner is finished. Perfect." She said, a content smile on her face.

This was the first night in a long time she had prepared two plates for dinner.

{603 words}