Chapter 9: You Are In Love

Start from the beginning

I decided it best not to tell Jo I was coming to Montreal because if Axel was there, it would scare him away. I also didn't know how Jo would react to me showing up at his front door considering we haven't spoken in three years.

But like Jax said, this is about Axel.

So as I stand in front of Jo's front door, I keep repeating that fact in my head but when the door opens and I'm greeted with the sight of Jo standing there shirtless, I forget what I was going to say.

"Daisy?" He asks, looking beyond confused and I start to second guess if my plan to not tell him I was coming was a good idea.

"Um, yeah. Sorry to show up unannounced –ʺ

"Yeah, that is one word for it."

He's mad. Somebody who doesn't know him wouldn't be able to tell because there's nothing in his facial expression or tone to show that he is, but I know him.

Well, knew him.

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was coming but I knew would probably say no."

"Damn right I would have."

I can't help but become angry at him. "Can you stop being a jerk for ten seconds? I need your help with something. Also, why are you not wearing a shirt? It's the middle of January and you live in Montreal."

My question is answered when I hear the voice of a girl calling out his name. He grimaces and I stare up at the sky in regret. Why do I always end up in these awkward situations?

I hand him my business card and start walking backwards. "Call me when your girlfriend leaves. I need your help."

"She's not my girlfriend." He mutters, staring at my card.

"Even better." I tell him, turning around and pulling my phone out of my pocket to call a Jordie for a ride.

I have dinner with Jordie and his lovely girlfriend Jessica. I always got along really well with Jessica, especially when they lived in Dallas. They offer for me to stay at their house but I don't know how long I'll be in Montreal so I tell them I will book a hotel.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting Jo to call me. Especially tonight but around ten p.m. my phone rings, and a number with Montreal area code, I know it's him.

"Hello?" I mutter.

"Hey. It's Jo."

"Yeah, I guessed."

There's an awkward silence for at least a minute before he blows out a breath.

"What did you need help with?" He asks and I know he's already regretting this.

"Axel." I say and he's quiet for a moment.

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Maybe we should talk in person." He says. "Are you staying with Jordie?"

"No, I'm at the Delta."

"I'll come to you."

I agree knowing it's a bad idea but to Hell with it, I guess.

After we end the call I look down at my old hoodie and sweatpants, wishing I looked decent. If this were five years ago, I wouldn't care what I was wearing but now, everything has changed.

***

Growing up, Axel was always closest with Jo because they shared a love for hockey and after a couple summers of playing street hockey every day, Jo finally convinced Axe to try out for the local hockey team in California.