Compromise Me: Chapter 29

Começar do início

Hannah saw Josie blush rosier than before, and Travis swallowed.  

“Yes, ma’am,” Josie whispered, and that surprised Hannah.  Josie only pulled out the Yes, Ma’am when she knew she’d done something very wrong.  Yet, the only thing out of sorts here was the fact that they showed a smidgen of disrespect by “sleeping” together in this house.  Hell, they were adults, they could sleep together all they wanted, but this was her house.  Ask...or commit.  It was simple. 

But Hannah empathized with them.  It wasn’t too long ago she and Justin shared a night together under his parents’ noses without being engaged or married.  Technically, it was in that tree house and not in the house, she reminded herself, but the idea was the same.  And as a parent, she'd learned, she had to keep her standards high...even for her twenty-five-year old stepdaughter.

Taking a deep breath, Hannah looked both of them in the eye.  “Now, I never wanted to be that mother who’s always preaching and nagging, so I’ll just say this one time and hope it sticks.  Josie...what I told you yesterday is still true.  I don’t feel like I need to repeat it?”

Josie shook her head.  

Hannah looked at Travis next.  “And as for you…you are both adults -- mature, responsible and old enough to know exactly what you’re doing.  God forbid I have to give you the sex talk.  That being said, just remember that my daughter here…”  She hugged Josie around the shoulders with affection.  “...is not the kind of girl who would ever let herself get taken for a ride.  So, if she tells you to park your car and let her out...you’d better park your damn car and let her out.  Understand?”

Travis nodded quickly, paling so that the pink stain on his cheeks stood out.  He actually looked more scared now -- of her -- than Hannah had ever seen from him when Justin talked to him.  Interesting.  It kind of gave her a tickle.

"Good," Hannah said, kissing Josie's cheek and reaching up to plant one on Travis' cheek as well.  "Enjoy yourselves.  Behave.  And we'll be back on Friday.  Josie, please check on your grandmother while we're gone."  She moved down the stairs to the front door.  "She said she wanted to be alone, but we worry, you know."

Josie followed Hannah down, whereas Travis stayed glued to Josie's door.

"Hannah...". Josie said quietly.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't think, and..."

"It's okay, honey," Hannah told her.  "Your dad and I weren't saints when we started seeing each other.  I just had to put in my motherly two-cents, you know.  Makes me feel giddy."

Josie smiled.  "Thanks, Mom.  I love your two-cents.  I even like your nickels."

Hannah chuckled and scooted out the door.  She hopped into her husband's truck, plopping the bag on the floorboard under her feet.  She buckled her seat belt.  Then she looked at everyone looking at her.

"What?"

"Well?  What happened?" Justin asked.  "We could see you talking to Josie through the window."