The woman's attitude reminded Rosalind too much her uncle's behavior towards Emily. A nanny and governess had ruled the nursery for several years after Rosalind's arrival. It hadn't been until her cousin was sixteen that Uncle Lawrence had taken more of an interest in his only child.

"You must have many improvements planned for Darkhall," Henrietta said. Though her needle was in her hand, she made no move to continue her activity. "The last time Thomas took me there I remember how grim and uninspiring everything was. I can recommend an excellent architect to make alterations."

"Thank you, but I have no plans at the moment," Rosalind said, shuddering at the idea of taking on a large project. "Darkhall is charming as it is, and seems sound. I don't think there is anything that needs updating or changed."

"Charming? That old heap? My dear, you are in need of more help than I thought."

Bristling at the woman's tone, Rosalind shook her head. "I appreciate the concern, but Evan has said nothing about desiring any changes to the house. He's concerned about the drainage in one of the fields, of course, so we must wait until that is taken care pf before we consider any other project."

Henrietta waved her hand. "What do we care about a field's drainage? I assure you Darkhall will need a complete renovation to be considered acceptable. In fact, it may be beneficial to find a townhouse while the changes are made. I cannot imagine residing in a dwelling while construction is occurring."

Tired of the conversation, Rosalind decided to end it. "I will speak to Evan. Thank you for your advice."

"Oh, I'm sure there is no need for that. The appearance of a house rests in the hands of the mistress. After you consult with an expert who has seen the house, make the decision and then tell Evan how much it will cost. He can have no objection." Henrietta gave a decisive nod as though she considered the matter settled.

Having no intention of doing any such thing, Rosalind offered one last smile and then bent over her letter.

Dear Emily,

How are you, dear cousin? Have you tired of traveling? Where are you at present? What new adventure have you had on your journey?

I do wish you had made it to London for the start of the Season, Emily. It has been harder than I'd ever imagined being comfortable among strangers. A few of the matrons have frowned in such a way I truly believe they remember the sins of my parents. Evan's family have been kind, of course, but I can't help feeling they are disappointed in Evan's choice of bride...

Breathing out, Rosalind sat back. It had been freeing to put her thoughts and feelings on to paper, but she knew she couldn't actually send the letter. It would only worry Emily, and worried Emily was a force to be reckoned with.

"Trouble?" Henrietta asked, her tone sweet.

"No. Simply trying to find the words to describe the Season to my cousin," Rosalind said honestly. "She has been traveling, so I imagine nothing in town can compare to what she has seen."

The words appeared to appease the woman for she turned back to her embroidery. Biting her lip, Rosalind selected a fresh of paper, thankful to be in a position for such extravagance. She folded her first attempt, intending on consigning it to the first fire she found and began again.

Dearest Emily,

What new wonders have you discovered this week? I think you know what life in London can be like and there has been little change, so I shan't bore you with the details of where I have been or what I have seen.

I will tell you of who I have met. An old friend of Evan's and I do believe his wife shall be a good friend. We have similar taste in music, and you know how much that means to me. I think you would like her...