Part 2

Enjoy! Sue x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 2

A white piece of paper neatly folded on the top of my dressing table caught my attention as I savoured waking up late for once. I reached for the paper and made myself comfortable before I proceeded to open it.  After a few minutes of reading my eyebrows were in a slightly elevated position.

I had heard of these “Marriage CVs” from my older cousins but I’d never quite anticipated this. Just as one would attract employers with their education and skills CV, a marriage CV was designed to attract potential partners. I’d seen my cousin do hers and when she’d started writing about her genealogy from both her mothers and fathers side I’d questioned her on it. “Don’t question it,” she’d replied as she typed away aggressively on her laptop and pressed her mum to remember her village name in Bangladesh.

This CV in front of me had everything going for it; it had the guy’s name, date of birth, height, genealogy, education background, employment, hobbies, and requirements in a wife. It had everything.

The CV stated the name of this man was Angoor Miah. That actually translated into English as Grape Mister. I should’ve stopped reading at that but my curiosity got the better of me and so I continued. Angoor was 30 according to my calculations and “fit” as he stated it. As I read on I found out he was one of 9 children, 5 of whom were girls. This was getting more bizarre by the second.

The “seeking in a partner..” paragraph was what really caught my attention though. It read, “I am seeking a kind, gentle, sweet soul as a wife who will look after me and mother my future children. Must be well groomed at all times and be able to cook and clean. Must also enjoy long walks to the supermarket and it is preferred she speak at least basic English.” This Grape clearly wasn’t asking for too much(!).

Overleaf was a photo attached of him, before I had the chance to see how he looked Dawoud texted that I should be getting ready as the guests would be arriving in a few minutes. What difference would it make if I didn’t see his picture now? I’d get to see him in the flesh in a few minutes so I opted to defer seeing him until then. Looking into my wardrobe was how Leyla found me a few minutes later.

Everything was moving so fast and I quickly texted my best friend, Deena telling her we needed an urgent meeting at our local cafe. I could hear thunderous noises coming from below and bored of waiting in my room I went downstairs to see what was going on.

After climbing the third flight of stairs I gasped in shock. Woah! It took a few moments for the surprise to register in my brain as I gazed around the room.

 It was as if the living room glistened, the floor was mopped till you could see new layers of wood emerging. All the furniture was aligned perfectly and the cushions looking all pumped and fluffy. The biggest shocker had to be my family however. To the right I actually witnessed my brother Dawoud awake and out of bed; not only that but he was dressed in smart clothes! His hair was neatly brushed to the side revealing his hazel eyes for once.

To the left was my spoilt sixteen year old sister, Leyla with a mop in hand. Her earlier smugness at the prospect of ridding of me had disappeared and was replaced with a scowl on her face.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Jun 07, 2014 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

A Decided Fateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें