Chapter 43 : Anatomy of a Storm Wolf

Beginne am Anfang

"Which, if we leverage it properly, will give us the time we need to properly prepare for the Project's trigger event," Mordecai added. "Time we desperately need."

Again the man in black hesitated, staring off into the distance as if he were pondering some great truth. But it was Jeriko that correctly guessed what was going on.

"Something stirring in the probability stream, Marty?" she quietly asked, stepping close to the big man.

Mordecai didn't answer for a long moment as he continued to stare at whatever it was that had caught his attention. Then he was jerking a quick nod.

"An old comrade approaches with a request," he said in a low voice before looking over at a frowning Raven. "A proposal that you initiated, Raven."

"Me? Raven replied, her frown deepening. "I don't recall putting forth any proposals."

"Ah, but you did, my good lady," Duffy said, a thoughtful expression on his weathered face. "You told the nations that if they wanted to join the hunt against the Brotherhood, they would need to become Storm Wolves, like Lisa and Samantha."

Mordecai nodded as he pointed at Duffy.

"The good detective is spot on," he confirmed before pointing back at Raven. "That was your challenge, Raven."

"I wasn't expecting anybody to take me up on it," the Native American hardwire indicated, folding her arms beneath her breasts. "Hell, I don't even know how the Storm Wolves came into being!"

"I made them," Mordecai confessed with a shrug. "By modifying recently deceased psionics with Jeriko's new psionic werewolf template, reanimating them then inserting isolated essences into them."

As the big man fell silent, he found four sets of eyes staring in astonishment at him, including Jeriko.

"You ... you did what?" Dee stammered, eyes wide as she tried to digest what Mordecai had just admitted to doing.

The big man smiled at the tall redhead's reaction.

"I would explain it to you," he began, "But I think I'm about to get the chance to show you!"

As they all wondered what Mordecai was talking about, there was a light tap on the door. Instantly both Jeriko and Raven were pulling in as much bio-energy as they could hold as they turned to stare at the door. At the same time Dee and Duffy were drawing their Shiva's to aim the powerful weapons at the door.

Only when they were ready to unleash hell did Jeriko notice that the most powerful being in the room hadn't as much as brought up his personal shields, little yet pull in energy in preparation for battle. It didn't take long to find out why.

"Come in, Melanie," Mordecai called out. "The door's open."

Jeriko's frown deepened. Melanie?? Was this visit what Mordecai had referred to when he said he was about to show them?

The door to the apartment swung open to reveal the blonde Brit that was part of Avalon's leadership. Noticing the two humans and their weapons standing beside Raven holding a full charge of psionic energy, she quickly threw up her hands.

"I come in peace!" she declared. "I swear!"

"So you do," Mordecai conceded, a look back at his comrades enough to make Dee and Duffy lower their weapons. Raven, however, stayed fully charged, as did Jeriko. Both had seen enough supposed allies turn hostile recently that they weren't about to take a chance, even though Melanie was far below either one of them in power and ability. One didn't need to be a hardwire to burn one out. Just skilled as hell, was all!