Cancelling the Apocolypse!

Börja om från början

“Today, today..” the Marshal tried to gain his words. “At the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we’ve chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other.” I felt a warm arm wrap around my waist. I looked over at Raleigh and tried a smile. He pulled me tight against him and I rested my head on his shoulder.

“Today, there‘s not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone.” He continued, holding his helmet tightly. “Not today.

"Today, we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them!” The people around us started to get stoked at the Marshal’s words. Even I felt a little giddy. “Today, we are cancelling the apocalypse!” Everyone cheered and clapped. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. This could be any of we Ranger’s last run. Raleigh grabbed ahold of my hand and pulled me toward Gipsy.

“Hey, Lila.” We stopped our forward motion to turn to the voice calling my name. I met eyes with Herc, who was waving his unhurt hand at me.

“I’ll meet you over there.” Raleigh said in my ear, placing a kiss on my cheek.

“You sure-” I tried to ask but he stopped me.

“Go, I‘ll be fine.” With a final parting peck, we went opposite ways.

Herc was the only person in the whole bay that wasn’t moving. He and Chuck watched my approach with surprisingly similar looks. I stood nearly toe to toe with Herc, giving Chuck a side view instead of looking him head on.

The men waited for the Marshal to join our group before the four of us started off through the back hallways that lead to the elevator that would take Chuck and Pentecost to Striker’s Con-Podd. Herc and I lagged behind the others as he took in his son’s strong frame, inhaling a deep breath.

“I’m sorry about your arm, Herc.” I said, glancing at the arm that was in a dark green sling.

“I should be in that Jaeger with my boy.” was all he said before a large tear leak from his eyes. It broke my heart instantly to see one of the strongest men I knew cry over not being able to help his son.

“I know.” I choked out, feeling my throat close up and my eyes start to burn.

“You take care of yourself out there. And watch my son‘s back.” I nodded to him, shaking his outstretched hand but moving in for a hug when I saw another tear fall.

He moved his injured arm out of the way enough so I could wrap my arms around him, his one arm gripping me tightly.

“I always have, Herc.” I stated, making the man chuckle lightly.

“I know you have.” He answered, smiling warmly at me after we pulled apart.

Herc looked over at the other men, making me do the same. They were both watching us. Chuck was near in tears as well. I tried my best to hold mine back as I stepped away from Herc and he walked up to his son. Pentecost moved to stand in the awaiting elevator, watching us from afar.

“Hey now.” Herc said, shoulders squared and his son mirroring his stance.

“When you drift with someone, you feel like there‘s nothing to talk about.” Herc started, choking up and breaking his strong stance. “I just don‘t want to regret all the things I never said out loud-” He continued before Chuck broke off his sentence.

“Don’t- You don’t need to.” Chuck said, choking up, himself. “I know them all.” More tears fell from the father’s face as the two had the most heart-felt moment that had ever passed between them.

“I always have.” Suddenly, Max barked at Herc’s side and Chuck broke the moment by crouching down to give his dog a good rub down and even placing a kiss on his nose. Max whined a few times and let out a grunt.

As he was still crouched, Chuck looked up from his dog to me, standing a few steps back from the men. Closing the few steps between us, he boldly grabbed a hold of my hands, rubbing them between his.

“Hey, beautiful.” At the sound of his voice so near and so broken, my somewhat hardened resolve broke and I yanked my hands free, wrapping them around his neck and pulling him close to me.

“Hey.” I mumbled, my tears falling freely. His arms wrapped around my middle tightly, breathing deeply and shakily in and out.

“Take care of yourself.” He said in my ear, pulling away from me.

I tried to wipe my vision clear. Chuck laughed a little, watching my failed attempt to hide that I had been crying, even though he knew I had been.

“You deserve all the happiness in the world.” I looked up at him and his gloved hand reached to catch a stray tear.

“You just focus on dropping that bomb and we‘ll have your back.” I sniffled, trying to regain some composure.

“You better. I‘m counting on you, love.” He smiled weakly at me.

       “I-” He started but stopped himself by looking away, up at the ceiling then back down at me, tears heavy in his eyes. “I never got to tell you-” I shushed him with my fingertips.

“Tell me when we make it out of this alive, Chuck.” I reasoned, smiling the best I could.

Before I could do anything to stop him, he wrapped an arm around my middle, the other that was still on my cheek around my neck and placed a sweet, soft kiss on my lips. It caught me completely off guard and it ended as quickly as it started.

“I love you, Lila.” Chuck said lovingly, running a hand through my hair. He stepped away from me, wiping away his tears before turning away  and walking to the elevator.

“Stacker!” All eyes landed on Herc as he tried to hold himself together. “That‘s my son you got there. My son.” The father and son shared a long stare before Chuck looked at me, blowing me a kiss before standing beside Pentecost.

“Head to your Jaeger, Lila.” I squared my shoulders at the Marshal, giving him a full salute with wet eyes. He smiled for a split second before steeling his face, returning the stern salute just as the doors to the elevator closed.

“I gotta go.” I pointed to where we’d come from and Herc just nodded once, wanting to be alone. I left the man with his son’s best friend in the hallway as I made my way to my Jaeger, Mine and Raleigh’s Jaeger, to be exact.

It took a little extra time for me to get into the Con-Podd because I had to put on my Drive suit, but as soon as I was in the sleek black suit, I stepped up to the right hemisphere hook up and looked over at Raleigh, who was standing beside his. He immediately noticed my tear streaked face and looked more concerned than when I first walked in.

“Hey, you-” I cut him off with a loud sniffle as I locked eyes with him.

“We’re making it out of this, Raleigh.” I said sternly, like it was an order directly from the Marshal’s mouth.

“Yeah, we are.” he said, stepping in sync with me as we started getting hooked up to Gipsy.

“All these years, I’ve been living in the past, I never really thought about the future. Until now.” We started turning on the controls for the pod together as Raleigh continued talking. “I never did have good timing, Lila.” My gaze jumped to his and he was already looking at me, reaching his hand out to mine.

“Raleigh..” I sighed, grabbing ahold of his hand and squeezing as tightly as I could. “Let‘s do this. Together.” I said, making the man who had my heart and soul smile brightly at me.

“I wouldn‘t have it any other way, love.”

Oh man, what did you think?! It kinda broke my heart at how emotional the Hansens were! How will the next chapter go?! Wait and see!! Love you guys! Rate, comment and vote PLEASEE!!! :D