But calling out his name had been a mistake. Connor turned his head to face her in a movement that was eerily reminiscent of something out of a horror movie. Lilia shuddered and readied her dagger.

Connor flung himself at her and was immediately attacked by the ex-Slaves, minus Alec, who shouted something about keeping watch at the door.

The struggle was confusing and painful. Since so many people were fighting in such a little space, there was a fair amount of curse words thrown around as people stubbed their toes on furniture and hit their elbows on the walls.

Lilia couldn't even get close to Connor. She was on the outskirts of the writhing crowd, unable to see exactly what was happening, what they were doing to him. "Please, don't hurt him!" she screamed over the roars and cries of the ex-Slaves from in front of her and the Improbable Slaves from outside who had awoken at the commotion.

Finally, exasperated and worried on Connor's behalf, Lilia forced her way through her forces and toward Connor. He had his back to her and was holding his own - she should have known - even against the odds.

Crap. She had completely forgotten about the improbability factor of their mission. Well, good thing that it's unlikely we'll succeed.

Not giving herself too much time to think about what she was doing, Lilia stepped forward and grabbed at the necklace. Her fingers found purchase and she yanked the strap as hard as she could, lifting the fabric off of Connor's neck just far enough to slip her knife under it, side up. Connor was making choking noises as she swiveled the knife and cut through the necklace.

Connor fell to the ground out of shock, wheezing. The ex-Slaves got closer, still thirsting for battle.

"No, no, no, no!" Lilia yelled. "He's not a Slave anymore. The necklace is off. Go help the others!"

With a cheer, her "troops" turned and quickly filed out of the house to go free the other Slaves. Matt lingered behind and, as Lilia pulled Connor's head into her lap, cleared his throat uncomfortably and said, "I'm...I'll wait right outside, then. For protection." With that, he left.

Connor blearily opened his eyes. He blinked at Lilia confusedly. "Wolf cub?" he asked in a husky voice.

Lilia smiled and bit her lip. "Yes, I'm here," she whispered, her eyes drifting to the irritated red line encircling Connor's neck.

"Oh, gods," Connor groaned, closing his eyes again. "Did...did I hurt you?" His voice was hesitant, fear an undercurrent.

"No, of course not. Don't you remember what happened?"

"It's hazy. Like I'm not remembering it accurately."

"You didn't hurt anyone too badly," Lilia assured him. "You were only a Slave for a few hours."

"Thank you so much. For everything," he breathed, his eyes still closed. He carefully sat up and turned to face her. Gently, he reached forward, took her face in his hands, and kissed her. Her hands raised to rest on his biceps.

Thank god that he's all right, Lilia thought, leaning farther into Connor. His familiar warmth was incredibly comforting, and it took a good deal of self control to break away from his lips.

"What was it like?" she asked in a whisper as they pressed their foreheads together.

Connor grimaced and she hurried to add, "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"No, it's fine." Connor was silent for a moment before saying, "It was awful. I can't imagine being a Slave for months or years. I couldn't think right - it was like being incredibly drunk but without the buzz of good feeling you get before you crash."