Chapter 1- Duty Calls

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
-Basho

I gulped as I walked into the Elvenking's halls. My future husband stood next to me while my elderly father stood in front. I was surrounded by my guards and my maids, we were traveling through Greenwood the great to go home after having an engagement meeting in Rivendell. I was the crown princess of Rhûn. My mother was an elf and my father a man was elderly and wouldn't live much longer. My future husband was the emperor of the western plains, our marriage would unite our kingdoms. The fate of my people was to be decided on my marriage. My husband to be was nice enough, not exactly handsome with big brown eyes, a crocked nose and greying hair unlike me with elven ears, long brown hair and blue eyes. I was happy about my wedding, to save all of my people but that was until I laid eyes on the ElvenKing.

As soon as I saw him, I felt as if I was about to explode. He sat on his throne, crossed legged. His hair sat on his shoulders perfectly and his eyes. His eyes were as blue as the sky and his skin was flawless.
'Greetings, King Thranduil,' my husband to be greeted.
'Greetings to you too, Emperor Dyaclue, King Akalog of Rhün and Crown Princess Aranel of Rhûn,' King Thranduil replied. I was captivated by his voice. His voice was so...majestic.
'Thank you for your hospitality, King Thranduil,' my father politely thanked him.
'It is the least I can do for you. Would you like to stay for the night?' King Thranduil asked.
'We would love to,' my future husband smiled. The Elvenking ordered one of his servants to prepare three rooms and then rooms for our servants and guards.

An elf maid opened the door to my room and I walked in, it was very big and beautiful. As soon as the maid closed the door, I undid the band that had been wrapped tightly around my ears to prevent anyone noticing I was an elf. My ears were red and blistered. Next I undid my corset that had been pulled extremely tight. My lungs hurt so much. I let down my hair and put a simple dress on. Next I put a spare cloak that I had found hanging up. I was in a new kingdom and I was going to explore.

I got out of the castle easily enough and made my ways towards the river, a tree had fallen over the river and I walked easily out onto it using my elven feet, I sat down and watched the fast flow of the river underneath me. Suddenly, I realized I was being watched and in a dramatic attempt to run to the other side of the river, I fell. I tried to scream as I hit the water. I was pulled under and I felt my lungs aching for air. The water calmed and I felt myself being pulled out. Someone laid me on the bank and I opened my eyes to see the beautiful blue eyes of King Thranduil.