07 | Lack of Familiarity

Începe de la început

Lucy smiled brilliantly at that, finding her familiar sense of peace she always had whenever Aslan was around her. Despite the history being his kind, the naturally threatening predator was as gentle as a lamb in her presence, always emitting an aura of fatherly admiration over her. All who ever spotted the Lion and Lucy during one of his very few visits to Cair Paravel could never forget it. Their bond was tangible and easy to see, something greatly treasured by the Narnians who were lucky enough to witness it. Pondering on the old Narnians and what had become of them, Lucy’s cheerful eyes dimmed slightly. “Where have you been? Why haven’t you come to help us?” She asked, her joyful demeanor dropping into one of sorrow.

The once jovial face of Aslan grew grim, his golden brows furrowing with discontent as his eyes caught the sight of the distressed child. Aslan knew he couldn’t have done anything to help the Narnians since he had appointed Raven for the task. She had succeeded with a great cost, one of which led Narnia to be ruled by invaders for 1300 years. With a heavy sigh, the Lion stared at Lucy with sympathetic eyes. “Things never happen the same way twice, dear one.”

Crack!

Caspian shot Gortuk a glare, one of which wasn’t received by the minotaur who volunteered to stand watch with him only hours before. They had both decided to scout ahead for a few moments to see if there would be any threat ahead of them, and were now returning pleased that the rest of their trek will be uneventful. Caspian wanted to return to camp unnoticed, but Gortuk’s lack of ability to stay quiet with his thundering footfalls and carelessness of where he stepped made Caspian writhe in anger. “We must be silent or else Raven will wake!” Caspian hissed lowly at the minotaur trailing behind him, dismissing the small snort of defiance he received from the beast as he walked on.

Caspian had been hurrying to return to camp before Raven waked up, not wanting to tarnish her newfound trust in him. She had told him not to wander off, and to be on the receiving end of Raven’s blade was the last thing he wanted. The watch had gone successfully, more so when Caspian finally felt Raven’s penetrating stare disappear completely into sleep. It was his victory in that moment, and he was glad to finally step onto the path away from the direct line of Raven’s threats and suspicions. Caspian knew he wasn’t completely in the clear yet, knowing well that if he gave Raven a reason to behead him, she would do as such without a second thought.

Noticing that Gortuk was lagging behind, again, Caspian stopped to wait for him. He stood atop a mound, eyeing the minotaur impatiently as it slowly made its way to catch up. What unsettled him more was the sight of a blonde-haired boy ducked behind a thick root with a small girl beside him. Caspian’s eyes widened when the human boy drew a sword and begun to silently creep his way towards the unguarded minotaur. Reacting fast, Caspian lurched off the mound, succeeding in taking the stranger by surprise as he engaged in a full-blown duel. The loud clangs didn’t go unnoticed, ringing high and loud in the tranquil Shuddering Woods, waking all who were in it.

Raven was the one who woke first, her blade being drawn out of instinct and her eyes scanning the camp wildly. Nothing was occurring in the camp, only the sight of the aroused Narnians coming to her attention. She had begun to scowl when she could not find a certain prince and minotaur near the edge of camp, quickly tossing up her hood and getting onto her feet. She leaped across the branches, her feet finding her balance for her as her ears stayed sharp to follow the sounds of clashing metal. An unwavering amount of anger grew within her at the realization of how far he had wandered off, a bitter voice biting at her morality with sinister thoughts of punishment.

Her swift abilities led her to the brawl in a matter of seconds, revealing Caspian engaged in a fight with another human. Raven forced back the sudden waves of familiarity and chose to focus in on the odd aura the human was emitting. He was most definitely royalty in the manor that he fought and moved, and his brilliantly blonde hair made it certain that he wasn’t a Telmarine. The human’s blade knocked Caspian’s sword out of his hand with great power, leaving the sharpened metal to thud onto the disturbed dirt where they quarreled. The human continued to swing at Caspian, all of which were narrowly avoided by the Prince with lucky timing, until his blade managed to get stuck in the bark of a tree behind Caspian. It gave Caspian the opportunity to kick the human square in the chest, jolting him far enough for Caspian to pivot and try to dislodge the sword from the tree.