Mou Hitori no Boku

Life is never fair. It's as simple as that.

There's no such thing as a perfect road, set on the straight and narrow in life. Even the noblest of kings, or most modest of souls, are thrown into turmoil now and again.

Just like you and I, my love.

It has been fifteen years since that fated day. Our anniversary. The weather was fair, the sun shining, and hopes for a new start were heavy in the air. The little boy who wanted a signature for his ill sister. The joyful atmosphere...

Your proposal.

It was the happiest day of my life. Even though it was also the last.

I know that it hurt you; believe me when I say it hurt me, too. I felt my heart shatter into a thousand - no, a million pieces, each one a deadly shrapnel fragment that carved into my soul. But, as much as I loved you, and as much as I wanted to stay, I couldn't. It was an impossible decision with only one choice, and the fact that no matter how much I would long to stay by your side, I couldn't. Not anymore. So I had to follow the opposite path my heart wanted to take.

So I comforted you. I told you everything would be alright. That I would still be with you, forever and always, just like we promised. You just wouldn't be able to see me.

And today, I face another impossible choice. My heart is conflicting with itself.

Though I wish you could stay, with our friends, to live into your wise, wrinkled years like Jii-chan had, I also cannot deny how much I have missed you. The endless hours through countless days that I have pined away, with the sole desire to be in your arms once more.

I love you, my Pharaoh. Though I wish you could live another day... I'm afraid the Gods are calling your name, the same way they had uttered my own, fifteen painful years ago.

I would say that dread was the only thing in me as of this moment, but I can't deny the tiniest twinges of joy and excitement I feel. As sad as I am that your life must end, I feel guilt. Because I look forward to the moment that I will be able to see you. To touch you. To hold you, and be held in your protective arms again.

I could say that I was completely horrified by the idea of your untimely end...

But, it isn't polite to lie, is it, Até?

o.o.o.o.o

This story will have four chapters, just like Aibou.

Also, in case you couldn't tell already, Mou Hitori no Boku is in Yuugi's First-Person viewpoint.

I'll try to update soon. Sorry this is so short. ^^;