here i go again

As soon as she realised what was happening Regina snatched her arms out of Franz's grasp and folded her hands over the widest part of her bulging stomach.

"Franz! Not here." She hissed, taking him by the wrist and dragging him away from the gates.

Regina felt sick, very sick- and not morning sickness sick. She knew she had to hurt him, something a person as soft and gentle as Franz didn't deserve. She had seen the light in his eyes, seen his delight even though he was shocked beyond belief.

"Regina?" Franz questioned, pointing hesitantly in the direction of the hired car which sat just beyond the gates. She rolled her eyes, allowing him to take the lead.

Once they reached the little blue Polo Franz spent several minutes digging in his pocket for the keys, Regina stood and watched, looking on at the variety of expressions that past over his face in the time it took for the keys to come to the surface. He then struggled with the locks, twisting the key this way and that, pulling it in and out until finally- after much foot tapping on Regina's part- he managed to unlock the doors and slide into the driver's seat.

Regina didn't find entering the car quite as easy. She pressed a hand to her lower back, becoming aware of the pain she had suffered for the past few days as she tried to bend. It took her two attempts and a loud 'For fucks sake' to get herself into the low car seat.

Franz stared.

He gulped for a third time. Her stomach was even rounder than he had first realised, and the bulge sat low too- wasn't that usually a sign of late pregnancy? Regina glared at him, her eyes wide and jaw set with annoyance. Yet she was still beautiful, her skin smooth and pale with flushed cheeks and a blue sunset over the tops of each of her similarly coloured eyes.

"I, ugh, my Papa has found us somewhere to stay, until it is possible for the three of us to return to Germany- or to Los Angeles if you prefer. Do your family stay in Los Angeles? No, they don't you have told me that before. My Papa, he is not entirely pleased with the order of events but he understands and he will support us in our-,"

"Franz!" Regina felt herself getting agitated, the little car was surprisingly warm compared to the cold weather outside, her back was aching and the stress, oh it wasn't what she needed right now. This shit was too much, she shouldn't have contacted Franz, he was the only person she had but God was he irritating. Her right hand found its way onto her belly, rubbing small circles. It was comforting somehow; she'd never be alone again right? The little nugget was something she had never wanted but it had become a part of her life none-the-less.

Franz looked at her, his eyes full of honesty and worry combined. He was too good for this, one day he would make someone the perfect husband- but Regina had always believed love was love and if Franz could love someone like her then who was she to deny that.

"It will be ok," Franz spoke slowly, and carefully reached out to the hand that lay on Regina's stomach. To his surprise she took his hand, squeezed it and said in a low and emotional tone,

"Just Drive Franz."

They drove for what felt like hours. At first Regina slept, exhausted after the months of protesting and glad to have somewhere comfortable to lie. For a while she pretended to sleep, sat with her eyes closed and listened to Franz singing along to the radio. The back pain hadn't eased. She must've twisted something sleeping on the grass and dirt combo provided by the nuclear plant.

Regina dared open her eye a crack, watching Franz. Maybe Katie had been right- maybe it would've been better if Franz had been gay. Easier for everyone involved.

Eventually they drove into the parking lot of a B&B hotel, there was a grand Mercedes parked there already and Franz had to all but abandon the little Polo.

"Papa is already here," Franz stated, his face free of any emotion.

That was it. She had to tell him, dammit, why didn't he realise already. it had to be now, once Mr Kleinman knew it would all be a big mess, she didn't need any more of that crap right now.

"Shit, Franz, I've gotta ask tell you- did you even go to school?"

Franz looked confused, his eyebrows furrowing, "Of course Regina, the best that Papa, could get me in-."

"Well your math skills suck! Haven't you noticed yet, I didn't want to do this Franz but, ugh, Shit!"

Franz went to take her hand, but that was enough, enough kindness from Franz to the point she couldn't take it any longer. The information burst out of her mouth before she could grab her tongue and shove it back in.

"Franz, when I saw you- about six months ago? Look I didn't know, and I'm stupid that way. This, this is who I am, who I always will be. I believe in free love and that's the way it is."

"what does that mean?"

"I'm nearly nine months pregnant Franz, I don't know who the swimmer belonged to but they sure as hell weren't yours."

0����WW�