chapter one

"Zhao Yun..." I moan, surprised that I was even able to speak his name.

"Mhm," was all he could say as he nuzzled his face into my neck and moved the hand on my shoulder down to my waist.
"We should-"

"WAKE UP!" Cold water is splashed onto my face. I sit up in bed with a gasp as rivulets of water run from my hair into my eyes. I brush some loose, damp strands of hair out of my eyes in annoyance. Xing Cai stands in front of my bed, empty pail in hand.

"May I ask," I begin, wiping water from my face, "what the hell that was for?" The daughter of Zhang Fei rolls her eyes and says, "You were supposed to wake up an hour ago. The war council is starting in 5 minutes. Maybe less."

"5 minutes?!" I yelp. I quickly throw off my covers and Xing Cai throws clothes at me. "I thought this would happen," she admits, as I slip on the shirt. "So I picked out clothes before I woke you up." I pull on a pair of fingerless gloves that come up my forearm. Xing Cai's brother Zhang Bao always asks me what the use of these are, and I always reply that I like the way they look. She throws a pair of pants at me next and I catch them with a hand before trying my hardest to shimmy into them as fast as I can.

"Boots, boots, where are my-" Xing Cai clears her throat and gestures to the foot of my bed. "I swear you'd be dead without me," she sighs.
"Damn right," I reply as I hop to put them on. "Alright let's go, I can't be late again."
"Your hair looks like a rat's nest." I pause in the middle of opening my screen door. I turn and shoot her a death glare before reaching for the brush on my nightstand. I brush quickly through my damp hair before tossing the brush onto my bed.

"Can we please go now?"
"We're already late."
"Oh shut up!"
-------

Everybody else is already sitting at the large wooden table. There's a large map in the middle of the table that depicts China, and there are various objects scattered across the paper. I can never remember the name for them so I just call them "war toys." Master Zhuge Liang appears to be explaining something to the other officers. He glances up before I can make it to my seat. I can't help but swear under my breath.

"So nice of you to join us," he says and I can't identify what he's feeling. It makes me nervous.
"My apologies, Master Zhuge Liang. I slept in this morning. I will work on being more punctual." I give our main strategist a bow, hoping that he's satisfied with my apology. He seems to be, as he resumes discussing our latest battle plans. I take my seat and Xing Cai sits next to me. Lord Liu Bei sits at the head of the table, while his sworn brothers, Master Guan Yu and Master Zhang Fei sit on either side of him. On Guan Yu's right is his eldest son, Guan Ping, and on Zhang Fei's left is his eldest, Zhang Bao. Going down Zhang Fei's side of the table, there's an empty spot for Zhuge Liang, then Pang Tong, and lastly Xu Shu. On my side of the table, after Guan Yu and Guan Ping, there's Master Zhao Yun, me, and Xing Cai. I shyly take a seat next to Zhao Yun.

"You should do something about your nightly Zhao Yun fantasies," Xing Cai whispers to me. "Zhuge Liang will surely give you hell if you are late to another council." I subtly elbow her in the ribs.
"Shut up!" I hiss. "What if Master Zhao Yun can hear you? I'll give you hell if he hears you!" Suddenly, Zhao Yun's tanned hand slides a steaming cup of something towards me. It smells of ginger and mandarin.

"Good morning," he tells me and smiles. I really wish Xing Cai would laugh a little quieter. "I had a feeling you'd be late, so I saved this for you."
"Thank you," I mutter as I pick up the mug of tea.
"Think nothing of it," is his response and he smiles that dazzling smile again. I blush into my mug full of warm tea.

"Jeez," Xing Cai whispers to me. "Could you lust a little quieter?"
-------
AN: I had a lot more fun writing this than I thought I would since Shu isn't exactly my fave dynasty. And yes I know this chapter was short, they'll get longer as the story progresses. More chapters coming soon and don't forget to read my other Dynasty Warriors X Reader story, One Battle Wound Too Many, if you liked this one.