Chapter 2

Belarus

I woke up as soon as the sun rose.

It was only a few minutes past eight; I usually didn't wake up quite this early. Today, however, was an important day. I climbed out of bed and went downstairs to make draniki--potato pancakes.

As I was waiting for the pancake batter to fry, I pulled a pitcher of cold kvass--rye drink--from the refrigerator. I effortlessly fill a glass with the drink and flip the pancakes at the same time. Within minutes, the draniki were done. I set them on a plate, grabbed the appropriate silverware, and placed everything at the table.

Breakfast didn't take long at all. If I was nervous, I tended to eat quickly. I wasn't sure why I was so anxious. I couldn't think of an answer while brushing my teeth or washing my face. After I made my bed and started dressing, it hit me.

"I've dedicated so much of my life to Russia," I humorlessly chuckled, "that I never learned how to properly talk to people." If I ever talked to someone that wasn't Russia or Ukraine, it was usually for the purpose of threatening them. I shook my head; the more that I reflected over my life decisions, the more embarrassed I became of myself. "This change is for the better," I reassured myself. "No need to be nervous."

I quickly tied my bow and studied myself in the mirror of my dresser. Every feature that was normally there was present, from my ever-present frown to the small bags under my eyes. There was a hopeful, nervous glint in my eyes today. I tried to smile, but my countenance produced an awkward reflection. I sighed and turned away from the mirror. I leaned down to the side of my bed and pulled out a large binder--my photo album.

For today, I needed a picture of Russia; I, of course, had plenty. I selected a clear, appropriate picture of my brother that highlighted his handsome features. After taking a moment to stare at the picture, I put my photo album back under the bed.

I left the house with my photo and a small bag filled with traveling necessities. I kept a few knives tucked away as a precaution. I was going to search the countries around me--the old Soviet Union--for a companion, starting with Lithuania.
--------
Although I wouldn't admit it, I did enjoy going to the other nations' capitals. It was strange, but oddly pleasant, to leave your home behind and tour someone else's. Vilnius was a beautiful place.

"Lithuania must be very happy here." I said to myself as I grazed the streets of the glorious city. The sky was brilliantly blue and the air carried a fresh smell. The Nemunas and its tributaries kept the wind in the city cool, but I didn't mind it at all.

I soon came across a bridge that connected two sides of the city and ran over the river.

"This might be a good place to start." I adjusted the photo of my brother and stopped the next person who walked past me. "Hey, you there!"

It was a fairly young woman, who was probably still in high school. She faced me with a smile.

"Hello. It's a nice day to be out, isn't it?" She greeted me in my own language. She must have been part of the minority here.

"Yes. Look at this picture." I shoved the picture in front of her. She was taken aback, but studied it intently. "Will you be friends with him?"

"Oh, I--Well..."She coughed awkwardly. I sighed and put the picture down. I raised my eyebrow expectantly, waiting for an answer. "I mean, he is rather cute and all." I narrowed my eyes and she whimpered. "I'm not sure I can do that. I'm still in school, you know. And I don't think my mother--"

I didn't need to hear anymore. I took off to the other side of the bridge, leaving the young woman dumbfounded.

My next victims were an adult couple, a man and a woman around my physical age.