Chapter One

I woke up on Saturday...my seventeenth birthday was that day, but of course I had school to go to. Thanks to Queen Joan we had to go to school six days a week, Sunday being the only day we didn't have to go to school, but of course Sunday was the day we worshipped our queen. I rolled out of bed and padded into the only bathroom in our house. We lived in the eighth district. It was where all the almost poor people lived.

Our house was basically like a wooden shack, but it was only me and my mom living in there. The house was rundown and rickety. My dad tried to fix it up when he was still alive, but it didn't work out so well. My mom and I were very close. I got into the shower and took a nice warm shower. I got out and wrapped a towel around my body. I headed back into my room and changed into my school uniform.

I smoothed down my plaid skirt and tightened my tie. I dried my red hair with the towel and tossed it over the door to dry. I went through my sock drawer and grabbed my thigh high socks. I rolled them on and grabbed my black dress shoes. I buckled them up and walked into our little kitchen and dining area. I found my mom sitting at the round table, drinking her morning cup of coffee. She smiled at me. "Good morning, birthday girl," she said groggily.

She was still half asleep. My mom was a palace worker. She was in charge of keeping Queen Joan happy. She rose to the occasion when the last person incharge of the queen's happiness was put to death. I smiled at her and grabbed a tiny breakfast bar. I chomped down on it, trying to be quick. My mom stood up and grabbed the brush. I sat in a chair, while my mom brushed my hair. It was our morning ritual. Get up, shower, and my mom would brush my hair.

It was school policy that if u had long hair, you had to have it pulled back. She braided my hair tightly and wrapped a hair tie around it. I hurried out the door, with my bag in hand. When I got to school, I was in for a little surprise.