Ceased Kicking

She walks up to him as he looks out of the kitchen window.  Putting her arms around  his warm half- naked body, presses a single kiss to his back.  "Tomorrow" is all he says.  "Are you scared?" she asks.  He turns in her arms, holds her head in his hands, and without saying a word, everything is said as they stare into each other's eyes.  Their chests and the air ache with emotion.  His lips meet hers in a fierce but deep kiss.  It is harsh, but passionate.  It is a goodbye kiss.

He lifts her up into his arms, her arms around his neck and legs around his waist, hugging each other as tight as possible.  Her bottom rests on the counter, his hands rest on her hips and this time, the kiss is different.  It is tender, sweet.

A few moments later she takes his hand, "Come love," and leads him down the hall to the small but beautiful bedroom.  They curl up together, holding on to all they are.  Gentle kisses exchanged as the dying sunlight reflects around the room.  For a moment, it is a sanctuary.  No need for words, just silence and two hearts beating as silently as the future.  They drift in and out of sleep, but only for seconds, never actually sleeping.

It was only an hour before he had to leave when he finally spoke the first words all night.  "Sweetheart...promise me you will be happy.  We have a wonderful life so far together and I do not want this to ruin everything for you.  Find love again and be happy...please princess."  He kisses her on the forehead, no response from her, and gets up, leaving the house.  Two seconds pass before he rushes back through the door wrapping the girl tightly in his arms one last time.  "I love you," he whispers.  "I love you too."  He exits again.  This time, it is for forever.

An hour later she enters the room next to his.  The sound of him being chained to the floor bounces off the freezing  stone ground and walls.  "He doesn't know yet?" she confirms with the guard.  He shakes his head.  She slips out of her clothes and into a white nightgown.

Her deep breath quivers as it is released and she steps into he soulmate's room.  He is shackled to the ground and his face is shocked when he sees her.  Then confusion crosses his features, followed by realization once he spots the dagger in her hand.  "No," he says hoarsly.  "No!" he tries to fight the chains.

She steps closer, "They asked if I wanted to," she kneels beside him, cupping his cheek in her hand.  "I rather it be my eyes rather than a stranger's."  His breathing is heavy, "no."  Her chest tightens as she raises the hand holding the dagger, "you do not really think I can love again or be happy or live without you do you?  I'll be with you soon my love."

She thrusts the knife through his chest.  Gasps fill the air before his silence falls heavy.  She turns the weapon on herself, piercing her body.  She collapses with a final breath over his body.  The unknown baby in her womb ceases to kick.