Chapter 3

"Charlotte!?!?"  Benjamin yelled. He dropped his cup of coffee and it splattered on the wood floors. He turned around quickly and raced up the stairs.

"Charlotte!!  You need to come downstairs now!"  Benjamin said, gasping for air.

"What? Why?" Charlotte asked, confused and groggy, as she sat up from the bed.

"No time to explain! Now come on!" Benjamin urged as he pulled Charlotte's arm to come with him. Finally, Charlotte arose and was pulled all the way downstairs by Benjamin and to the back door.

"Look! What the hell do you think that's from?!" Benjamin exclaimed with panic as he pointed to where the bloody footprints were.

Charlotte rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and focused on what Benjamin was pointing to.

"Ben, there's nothing there but snow." Charlotte explain with a sigh of annoyance.

"What? Wait, what?!" Benjamin said frantically. He ran out of the French doors and on to the snow in his bare feet. Benjamin rummaged through where he saw the tracks but no color of red was in the pure white snowfall.

"Hon, you're gonna freeze out there. Get back in here." Charlotte said, standing in the doorway with her arm crossed to warm herself.

"No. No, I swear that there were footprints in the snow. And-and they were bloody! They were a deep red! They ran all the way from here to that barn over there! I swear! Don't you believe me?" Benjamin pleaded. He could not believe the tracks just vanished.

"What barn? The house description never said anything about a barn." Charlotte asked curiously.

"Over there! I saw it from our bedroom window! I don't know if it's even on our property but I need to go check it out right now!" Benjamin explained. He pushed past Charlotte and went to grab his coat and boots from the front door. When he returned, Charlotte stood in the way of the exit. She tried to keep him inside but could not. Benjamin pushed her aside and started toward the barn.

"Ben! Where do you think you are going?!" Charlotte called after him.

"I'm going to see what the hell is in that barn." Benjamin replied and turned toward Charlotte.

"Listen, Ben. Its only seven thirty in the morning. You didn't sleep well last night. You had The Dream again. Your mind was probably playing tricks on you. The lack of sleep and the new surroundings messes up the brain. Trust me. Now come back inside and try to calm down." Charlotte explained, shivering.

Benjamin gazed at Charlotte and then back at the old, dilapidated barn.

"Alright. You're right. I'm really tired."  Benjamin agreed. He walked back to the house, glancing down at the snow to make sure there were no spots of blood stained on the the ground.

There was nothing. No blood. No footprints but his own.

But Benjamin's eyes were not mistaken that morning. There were footprints. And there was blood. And soon, there would be more of it.

Sorry for such the long wait. I know this isn't the best or most exciting chapter but it will get better. I promise. Thanks for waiting!  I'm gonna try to post a new chapter for my books every week. I need to write more!  So keep an eye out every week for a new chapter!  What book should I update next?  Comment to answer!  Thanks for reading and have a marvelous day, night, or whenever you're reading this!  Peace home skillets! (Thanks for that line, Grace haha)