The two walked out of his house, Matt locked the door, and climbed into the baby blue truck. Because, no, they could not skip the first day of senior year.

"Caroline, the only feeling that I'm feeling is the feeling that I want to rip your head from your shoulders. Then I'll shrink it, and hang it like an air freshener from my rearview mirror."

Caroline gaped at Rowan whilst the brunette looked back in indifference. "Okay, that freakishly dark and vivid," she muttered. "But, seriously, nothing at all? I mean, we're seniors! We rule the school, shouldn't you feel a little something."

"I'm still in this hell hole, so I'm going to go back with no," Rowan said, putting a spiral notebook in her back. She heard a quiet gasp from the blonde as she shut her locker.

"Oh my god, is that Matt's shirt?" Caroline asked, a strange amount of glee in her voice. "Did you guys do it?"

"Do what?" Rowan shot back, dubiously.

"You know what! It! Sexual intercourse, to dumb it down enough."

Now it was Rowan's turn to gape. "What? No, no!"

Caroline waved her arms around to express her exasperation. "Well, why not?"

"Why would I?"

"Because you like him!"

Cue more sputtering from the werewolf. "Who the hell said I liked him? I never said that! Can't a girl and a guy just be friends, and not have people assume they're having sex?"

Caroline shrugged and adjusted her grip on her stack of flyers. "I mean, I guess. But you don't like him?"

"Of course I like him," Rowan huffed. She handed Caroline a thumbtack. "But there's too much happening now. It wouldn't be good idea."

"It wouldn't be a good idea for you to be happy?" Caroline drawled out sarcastically. "Yeah, that sounds about right."

Rowan rolled her eyes and the two made a move to walk further down the hall, but another voice stopped them.

"I forgot about the bonfire," Elena sighed, approaching the two.

Caroline turned around immediately, her eyes wide. "You have to go. It's our first spirit squad event, and it sets the bar for the whole year―"

"Relax, Caroline. I'll be there," Elena cut off, smiling at her friend.

"Thank you. It's just that―" Caroline was once again cut off, but this time with Tyler kissing her. Rowan gagged in the background.

"Happy first day," he said, pulling away. Rowan furrowed her eyebrows when the scent of blood entered her nostrils, and started looking around.

"Is that blood?" Elena's question brought her back, and she immediately went into action and pushed Tyler toward the bathroom, ignoring his protests as she did. Caroline and Elena followed in tow.

"What's going on?" Tyler asked once the four entered the bathroom.

Rowan shook her head as she wet a paper towel. "I get that you're one of the bloodsuckers now, but seriously, Tyler?" she asked, voice raising. She began dabbing the collar of his shirt, careful not to smear the stain. "Disgusting," she breathed out. Another thing added to things Tyler brought into her life that smelled horrible; blood.