The Value of Nothing

At some points in our life, we would be asked the question: “Why are you happy?” Some would answer that they are happy because of their friends. Some would answer that their happiness is rooted from their relationship with their family. Others would answer that they are happy because they have a steady source of income, they’re in a institution that’s supporting them and that they have felt success in their life. Happiness. Is it that shallow? Is it just about the company of friends and the time that you hang out with each other? Is your happiness only about the days of the month when you receive your compensation for working? Is it necessary to have everything to be happy?

                A story is told about a particular nomad who entered into Kazakhstan. He has a long beard. He lives in the fields of the steppes. His roots can’t be tracked—but he was particularly an Asian. He had followed the Silk Road (if you know your word history, it’s that road used by early Asians for trading stuffs, and particularly, Silk) to seek ‘happiness’. This nomad brought only $50 and his personal garments. Another man enters the story, he was a Business Executive. He has a clean shave, sporting the most precious suites, and is known in his country for his wealth. But in Kazakhstan, his popularity does not stand higher than of the nomad. Both were married. Both had children. Both had their own lives, oppositely.  Then, the both of them reached a one way gate, towards a garden where the wise seer and counselor of Kazakhstan stayed. The Business Executive and the nomad both entered and talked to the seer. The seer, being an all knowing man, told them that their pilgrimage is almost over if they do one thing: to give up their clothes, all their money, all their personal belongings to him in exchange for simple clothes as they would head back home walking only on foot. The Businessman became furious! He felt that he cannot give his belongings to the old man! He had travelled miles, not to be robbed, but to feel what ‘happy’ is! He decided that this foolishness be ended, so he walked away, without giving anything from his everything. Not even a part of his everything. Then the nomad told the seer, “I have nothing to lose. I don’t have much money with me. I don’t wear the best dress. I don’t have popularity or pride that I’ll lose when I get back home. My only everything is nothing. So if I give up everything to you, I wouldn’t lose too much.” Then at that, the seer gave him a sumptuous meal and promised a plane ticket back to his country.

                Now, let me ask you: Do you have everything?

                The worst feeling in life is to have everything and knowing that all of these “everything” will be the source of our unhappiness. There will come a time that we will lose all our belongings. There will come a time when those with the most will feel that they have the least. True happiness is not about gaining everything. You can be rich. You can be popular. You can have many friends. You can have many hang-out possibilities. You can even be the best party goer ever. However, even if you have all of those mentioned, you can never be truly happy. The value of nothing is simple. It’s about the nomad. Even if he loses every personal belonging he has, it won’t greatly affect him: because his precious treasures are not felt by the skin, not touched by the hands and not seen by the eyes.