Chapter 4

An hour later I found myself in the supermarket, turns out it's not difficult at all, as long as you can maneuver your way and ask for directions, then it isn't all that bad.
I trudged the shopping cart along, dumping the things she had written down for me to get while humming to my favorite music which by the way was playing through the super market's speaker. I stopped by the first aisle, dropping three cans of Pringles, chocolates bar and muffins into the cart, already thinking of how to hide them in my room. I continued shopping, dumping the things I was asked to get and also the things I thought I needed.
I totally lost track of time, filling two of the shopping carts up before realizing the time. I hurriedly loved the shopping cart to the cashier and started dumping the things I got in front of her, hoping I am not too late and would still get home earlier than Nathan.
I reached inside my pocket to pick my phone only to have the image of me throwing the phone on the bed flashing through my head. I didn't take my phone along.
I glanced at the wall clock and my heart beat sped up, I've been at the supermarket for four hours. Four fucking hours, debating and returning things I got. It's six-thirty in the evening and I'm still here.
"Please, can you hurry up." I tell the cashier who paused, holding a can of baked beans in her hands, eyebrows raised. She glanced at the two full carts beside me and the baked beans in her hands then sighed.
"Of course." She deadpanned then continued with her job. I nibbled on my lower lip, continuously checking the time yet the cashier wasn't done checking everything I got.
Nathan gets home late so maybe he would get home late today. That had to be my saving Grace. He has to get home late. I look back at the cashier, she was now done with the first cart, proceeding to the second.
"Umm excuse me, can I get a taxi from here to Hilltop gardens?" I asked. The lady looked up, titling her head sideways as she stared at me.
"You're going to Hilltop gardens" She uttered incredulously, glancing at the wall clock again then shook her head in disbelief. I felt a knot tighten in my tummy on seeing her reaction.
How fucked am I, right now?
"This is 6-45." She says again, now packing the goods into the bag. I nodded again, although I had told her that's already.
"You can't get a taxi. That place is more or less heavily guarded and taxis are only allowed there within a small part from ten am till four pm." She says and only then did it dawn on me the reason Lily had ran out to call me a taxi. It would take a while to get a taxi in the neighborhood.
"Oh, so what other means of transportation can I use?" I asked and the lady paused in packing the things to look at me.
"Are you pregnant?" She asks casually. I cradled my tummy in my hand even though I'm far from being pregnant.
"N-no." I stuttered, mentally cursing myself for stuttering.
"You can take a bus there but they would drop you off at 1032. That's how far they can take you. If your house isn't so far from that bus stop then that's good for you but if it's far, I'm afraid you'd have to carry these-" she gestured at the bags she has now packed. The really large bags.
"You'd have to carry these while walking. If that's all," she paused me the bags, collecting the credit card from me while I thought about my misfortune.