"Mommy!" A little girl came running up to us. "Evelyn!" Dani embraced her tightly. "I've missed you so much." She kissed her head.

"Evelyn, I'd like to introduce you to Alex, Alex this is Evelyn." Dani's warm smile made me smile.

"Hi." I waved to the little girl. She walked over to me and I leaned down to be able to see her better. "You're really pretty." She said, her voice was the sweetest. "Thank you." I grinned. "You're also really pretty." I complimented her. "Thank you!" A big smile appeared on her face.

"Are you my mom's girlfriend?" She asked. I laughed. "Am I?" I asked Dani. "You should be." Evelyn said. "Yeah, Dani, I should be your girlfriend."

Dani chuckled and rolled her eyes in response.

Hannah laughed. "Anyone want tea?" She asked. "I'd love that, thank you." I smiled. "Yes please, I'm tired of the disgusting coffee I have to drink at that school of yours." Dani replied.

Evelyn took my hand, well more like my pinky but still. "You are my new best friend." She stated. "I told you." Dani mouthed.

Yes she did.

I smiled to myself.

Relief?

Dani walked behind us, talking my free hand for a moment and giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"Allie you need to watch me bike." Evelyn stated, I smiled at her nickname. "It's green."

"I love green." I smiled.

We walked into the living room, and Evelyn dragged me to the backyard where she showed me her bike. "Your bike is so pretty, I wish I had a bike this cool!" I told her, Dani stood next to me, I leaned my head on her shoulder.

Evelyn biked around, babbling about what she did today, I listened to her and responded intrigued.

Unknown to Dani and I, Hannah Jensen looked at us. The happiness radiated from her daughter making her smile.

❤︎

After we ate dinner together and Hannah had left, Dani prepared for putting Evelyn to bed.

"Mom, can Allie help put me to bed?" Evelyn asked, a cup of warm milk in her hands. Dani's eyes met mine, her eyes speaking to me 'do you want to?' they said. I nodded. "Of course she can." Dani smiled.

A wide smile formed on Evelyn's face.

"Are you sleeping over?" She asked.

I looked over to Dani. "Only if you want to." She said. "My mom's bringing and getting her from school, that until I find a new job."

"You're quitting?" I asked, I hadn't really thought about if she was keeping her job. "I've been talking about it with one of my old friends, she has an art gallery, just needs an artist."

"You're actually becoming a painter?" I smiled, back in the summer she'd told me about her dream of always wanting to become a painter. And she was good, like really good.

Evelyn got tired so we went upstairs, she brushed her teeth and asked Dani to braid her hair for her.

"Good night mom." Evelyn gave Dani a big hug. I smiled. One day this would be me with my child. "Good night Allie." She gave me an even bigger hug. "My mom definitely likes you." She whispered, giggling. "I hope so." I chuckled, not being able to resist smiling.

"Good night Ev." Dani said, and I followed her out into the hallway. "Can you close the door?" Evelyn asked. "Of course I can."

"She's so sweet." I whispered, smiling. "I know." Dani grinned. I walked to the bathroom, where Dani got her pyjamas, then disappeared into her room. Leaving me to change.

After I brushed my teeth I walked to her room.

"I'm going to sleep." I told her. "You can sleep here." Dani suggested. "Only if you want to." She quickly added. "Thank you." Tears welled up in my eyes.

"Hey." She cooed. "Don't cry sweetheart, it's okay."

"I don't know why I'm crying, I'm sorry." I sniffed. "I thought I banned that word." She looked me in my eyes. "Oh yeah." I chuckled. "It's okay." She smiled.

After Dani also got unready she joined me in her bed.

"You're such a good mom." I told Dani, after minutes of silence. "You'd be too." She replied. "What?" I wasn't sure if I had heard her correctly. "You'd be a good mom." She repeated.

"You really think so?" I asked. I don't know if I could be. "Seeing the way you're with Evelyn, I think—I know you'd be."

I moved my head, our noses touching. I closed my eyes.

'I love you.'

No reply.

We fell asleep, the little bit of touch between us serving as a bridge between our dreams.