chapter twenty-four

Zacznij od początku

Thursday morning at the office, I get a call from Sam.

"Hey, Audrey. How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. You?"

"I'm good, I'm good."

"Everything okay?" I ask cautiously. 

"Yeah, everything's great. Listen, I'm down at my sisters place, in Louisiana-"

"Oh, how is she? How are the kids?"

"Everyone's good. Got them all settled in back home, safe and sound. I just wondered.. if you'd like to come down and join us? For a little rnr."

"Thank you, that sounds lovely. But um, what's the catch?"

Sam laughs into the phone. "Can't slip one past you, huh?"

"Bucky's there, isn't he?"

"He showed up this morning, all alone. He seemed a little down, so I thought I'd extend the invitation to you." Sam admits.

"He doesn't want to see me, Sam." I tell him. "We had a fight.."

"..That's not what I thought I was leaving you guys alone for."

"Yeah well, queen of ruining moments, right here."

"Don't beat yourself up."

"It's true."

"No- I knew we shoulda just called you first. But Bucky insisted on seeing you." Sam comments.

"Yes, well, he's probably regretting that now." I grumble, even more mad at myself. Bucky insisted on seeing me? God damn, I'm an idiot. 

"Come on.. I'm sure it wasn't that bad."

"I hurt him, Sam.."

"He's a big boy, he'll get over it."

"What if he doesn't?" I ask sadly.

"He seems more sad than hurt. Just talk to him."

I chew on my bottom lip.

As well as apologising, I need to speak to him about his completed therapy and a time for his evaluation.

"Has he mentioned when he's coming back home?" I ask Sam. "I do want to talk to him and I'd much rather it be in person."

"No, he hasn't. So you should probably just come talk to him here." Sam replies.

"Sam.."

"Come on, fight or not, I know he'll be happy to see you."

"I wouldn't be so sure.."

"Come on, Edwards. After the week we've had, we all need this." Sam insists.

After todays next client, I don't have much in the way of work until next week..

"..Okay."

"Yes!" he cheers, laughing triumphantly. "Hey, you don't happen to know anything about boats, do you?"

"Um, no?"

"Doesn't matter. Just get your butt down here, alright?"

"I'll be on the next flight."

Before my client arrives, I jump online and check flights, booking the next one to Louisiana.

Then after work, I ring Dafne and tell her what's happening, and reassuringly, she supports it fully.