The memory brings a soft smile to your face as you stare out at the city in silence. It was a shock to both you and your therapist when you'd smiled at the memory. Everything else from that day had been- awful. Months of sessions and breathing exercises and crying and you hadn't been able to genuinely smile until you remembered her.

You supposed it was the way she carried herself, like nothing could touch her. Not even aliens. You'd laughed at that and your therapist stared at you wide-eyed like you were in the middle of a mental breakdown. She told you it had been a while since she'd heard someone laugh in her sessions- the world was so quiet for weeks after that terrifying day. You were too- until her.

Natasha Romanoff was your guiding light. For a while, she might've even been your obsession but the more mainstream the Avengers became the more you realized you just admired her as a woman. You were nothing like the fans who followed her every move- you just wanted a chance to thank her. And now you have it.

Turning to her, the hundreds of versions of thank yous that you'd written ran through your head and then filtered away just as you opened your mouth to speak. Nothing seemed grand enough to express how grateful you were, but maybe you didn't need grand, maybe she didn't need grand. Maybe all she needed was something simple- woman to woman.

"You know uhm- I actually kind of owe you my life" Her attention turns back on you, her head tilting as she gives you her full attention.

"Oh?"

You nod, swallowing your nerves as you try to talk about a situation you've only ever talked about with your therapist.

"Yeah, you probably don't remember because it was super crazy and I don't even think you saw me honestly but you saved me from an alien a few years ago and wow that's crazy to say out loud-" You stopped your rambling and resisted the urge to bite your thumb, she was looking at you with an expression you couldn't read. It gave you the chance to admire her up close.

You'd seen her in person and on the news but she was different up close. Despite her intimidating persona she almost seemed...softer. You noticed the little freckles that dotted her face, the way her hair brushed her shoulders elegantly, the way she chewed the side of her lip lightly. Who knew the famous black widow had a nervous tick? You internally shook your head- you had to stop idolizing her and regard her as the person she was.

You let understanding wash over you as you began to take in the tiredness behind her eyes, the way her shoulders never fully relaxed, the way her posture and movements were so perfectly practiced. It must be exhausting to always appear like the strongest woman in the room. Was she ever able to be vulnerable? Did she ever take a break?

Shaking your head, you let out a small chuckle " -actually it doesn't really matter what happened. I just wanted to say Thank you, for what you did all those years ago. You saved so many lives on that day but you saved me for months afterwards." This is the longest amount of time you've held eye contact with anyone and you resist the urge to look away when you feel tears start to form. " I hope you know how incredible you are"

She sucks in a sharp breath and looks away from you, her gaze going to the ever-dwindling party inside. You worry for a second that you've said something you shouldn't have, or unintentionally reminded her of a painful memory but after a while her gaze turns back to you.

She's looking at you with that same look from earlier, her eyes shining with recognition and what you can now pinpoint as admiration. Natasha Romanoff admires you.

"Y/n-" Your phone rings and you scramble to answer it, giving Nat an apologetic look that she dismisses with an understanding shake of her head. Eager to get back to whatever Nat was about to tell you your finger quickly swipes over the answer call button.

"Hello?"

"Y/n! Where are you? You're missing this great story-" Your friend seems significantly drunker than when you left her and you wonder what she got herself into in the short while you were away. You should probably go back and join her but...

"I'm on the balcony, remember?"

"Oh.." You can practically feel her pout. " That's so funny I could've sworn I saw Natasha Romanoff go out there- Hey! Is she with you? Oh my god, she totally is! Are you hanging out? Did you tell her about your big fat crush-" You swiftly end the call.

You seriously hope Natasha didn't hear that and that she can't see the blush currently taking over your whole face but the sight of her smirking at you is definitely not a good sign.

You're absolutely mortified.

"You didn't hear anything" You accusingly point at her and she raises her hands in a mock surrender. It's the first time you've seen her surrender to anyone and you're afraid of what it does to your insides.

Whatever she was going to say to you seems to have gone, the moment sufficiently ended you figure it's probably best if you head back to your friend and stop her from drinking more free alcohol and potentially spilling your embarrassing work stories.

Nat seems to sense your plan to leave as she straightens up and you preen at the fact that she'd been comfortable enough to relax a bit in your presence.

Smile still prominent, you rub your arm from the cold as you prepare to say goodbye to someone you're not sure you'll ever get the chance to talk like this with again.

"Well- It was nice getting to talk with you but I should probably get going" Nat looks like she wants to say something, her jaw ticks, and her eyes take in your face but when her eyes catch your injured shoulder she stops herself. " Also thank you for that drink it was unfairly good and I'll probably never have another like it"

That gets her to laugh and you find yourself chuckling with her. A car honks in the distance and the party's still going on like nothing has happened but for you, everything has changed. This moment will be ingrained in your memory forever.

You make a move to leave but the sound of your name makes you turn back to her, a questioning look on your face.

"You know you can always call me" The statement catches you off guard. You know the Avengers hotline is always open but they were usually busy dealing with prank calls and petty crimes. You weren't sure they'd believe you if you called and told them Natasha Romanoff said you could call her and ask her to make you another drink.

The humor of the situation has you returning the gesture with your own proposition "Same to you. If you need anyone to talk to or just someone to give you compliments" She chuckles and you're sure she gets that you're joking but she still tilts her head in a tease

"I don't have your number"

You let yourself indulge in the joke, seeing no harm in making your friend wait a minute longer "You have my name, I'm sure you won't have trouble finding it"

A sort of mirth sparkled in her eyes as she spoke her next sentence "Well I'm no FBI agent" It feels like an inside joke and you're trying to pinpoint where you remember it from but after a few seconds you shake it off and blame it on the alcohol.

You laugh and give her a wave as you make your way to the door back inside. Just as your fingers grip the handle Natasha's voice calls out to you one more time

"Take care of yourself, Y/n."

You smile at her as you open the door "You too, Nat."

It's odd how a few minutes of interaction will make the taste of her name feel so familiar

~~

Later when you're home warm in your pj's and settling into bed, your phone pings with a notification and you open it to see a text from Nat-

            Nat🔪:

Nat🔪:

I'm guessing from your lack of texts

that you're having a good night?

You smile as you type out your response, excited to tell her all of the details in the morning

Y/n🍦:

The Best❤

A/n: Nat seems to have hesitated- what do you think she was going to tell Y/n? ~ Starry

Number Neighbors- Natasha Romanoff  x Readerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें