{34} WE ARE NO LONGER SAFE

Start from the beginning

"Why is he doing that to you?" Fred directed the question to Mia, his eyes mirroring his bafflement and dismay.

"Yeah, what's his point?" George chimed in, his tone marked by a sense of incredulity as he sought to understand the motives behind the unsettling turn of events.

Mia: [her anger rises slightly] Your Bludger? You made that Bludger chase after me?
Dobby: Dobby feels most aggrieved, sir. Dobby had to iron his hands. [He shows Mia his bandaged fingers]

Many flinched at Dobby's hands.

Mia: [shrugs] You better clear off before my bones come back, Dobby, or I might strangle you.

"Mia!" Hermione and Molly scolded the young girl, their disapproval evident in their tone.

"I had just found out that he tried to get me and Ron expelled, and he chased me around the Quidditch field with a rogue Bludger that broke my arm, and he probably wouldn't even have stopped there if Hermione hadn't destroyed it. So leave me alone," Mia asserted, her annoyance palpable as she shifted her gaze from the two to the screen, her frustration mingling with a sense of defiance.

Dobby: [frightened by these words, he jumps off the bed] Dobby is used to death threats, sir. [Mia gets up and out of bed then approaches Dobby] Dobby gets them five times a day at home.
Mia: I don't suppose you could tell me why you're trying to kill me.
Dobby: [backing away from Mia slowly around the bed] Not kill you, ma'am. Never kill you.

"He wasn't trying to kill you?" Neville asked in disbelief, his eyebrow arching as he struggled to comprehend the gravity of Mia's ordeal. His incredulous tone conveyed a mix of shock and concern, reflecting the profound impact of Mia's revelation.

Dobby: Dobby remembers how it was before Mia Potter triumphed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. [backs up to the other side of the bed] We house elves were treated like vermin, sir. Of course, Dobby is still treated like vermin. [He sobs uncontrollably as Mia looks on, then blows his nose on his grimy pillowcase]

As the attention turned to Dobby, many cringed in disgust at the sight of his tattered and mismatched clothing.

Mia: Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?
Dobby: [obviously sensing that Mia is referring to his pillowcase] This, ma'am? It is a mark of a house elf's enslavement. Dobby could only be freed if his master presents him with clothes.

The pitiful sight of Dobby evoked a wave of sympathy and regret among them. Even Narcissa, usually composed and detached, couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt at the humbled state of her former house elf. The uncomfortable silence that followed underscored the collective recognition of Dobby's plight and the injustice of his circumstances.

[He gasps as he hears a banging sound coming from outside and glances at the door to the infirmary; Mia also glances at the door; Dobby jumps up onto the bed] Listen. Listen. [He beckons Mia closer] Terrible things are about to happen at Hogwarts. Mia Potter must not stay here now that history is to repeat itself.

"Repeat itself?"

Blaise's inquiry hung in the air, inundated with a disquieting sense of trepidation as the weight of his question settled over the room.

"So it's happened before?" Dean's probing question added an undercurrent of dread, prompting those who were unaware to grasp the gravity of the situation, intensifying their fear of the potential ramifications.

Amid the rising concern, Molly and Arthur clung tightly to Ginny, their protective embrace offering solace in the face of uncertain circumstances. Their shared apprehension reflected the unspoken understanding of the potential dangers looming ahead.