Chapter 5 | brain melting

"You seem rather focused"

The voice of his father snapped L out of his daze, finding he was staring blankly at the same page of Light's suspect file for much too long.

"Thinking..." L muttered.

"He definitely seems suspicious in his behaviour, although his father won't like to hear that again" Watari replied.

"There's got to be something I can get a warrant on... if we take things from his house he'll definitely notice so we can't just sneak in like we did with the cameras"

L had run all the possibilities through his computer like mind and found that you were absolutely right, the best way to get some kind of evidence tying Light to Kira was to get a warrant and search everything, confiscate what he could. But in order to get a warrant he needed reasonable suspicion that Light was doing something illegal. And aside from vibes, and the fact he knew Light was Kira from almost dying to him, he had nothing.

That was the catch with this whole time reset thing. L KNEW Light was Kira, he'd seen the death note, he'd seen the way Light glared at him as he was almost dying. But he couldn't tell anyone that knowledge or use it in the case, because it'd reveal that he had a cosmic entity on his side. At first L just asked you 'why can you rewind your screen thing and tell me where the death note is?' To which you replied 'it's in a false bottom in his drawer rigged to explode if someone moves it wrong. But how would you explain how you knew it was there?'

That had him stumped. It was beyond frustrating, he KNEW where the death note was and he KNEW Light was Kira. But he needed something, anything that could secure a conviction without revealing the fact there's a multiverse and a cosmic entity in the centre of it. The only people that ever found out about your existence were cosmic travellers who'd amazingly managed to find the truth of the universe on their own. You barely got any visitors that weren't fellow guardians of various things and your boss. Mortals generally never left their universes and lived their lives not knowing of the multiverse. For the best really, no doubt some of them would go absolutely mad trying to hop universes. Not to mention the mass panic and deranged cults that would pop up.

L sighed, leaning back in his chair as he bit at his nails absentmindedly. Only for him to feel a gentle whack of a newspaper over the back of his head, he knew what that meant.

"Stop biting" Watari said.

"Yeah, yeah-" L replied, looking down at his admittedly mangled nails.

"I'll have to put that sour nail polish on you like I did when you were a kid"

"Ew, please no"

"Then stop biting your nails, stim some other way"

That was one of L's most noticeable habits, the inability to sit still when he was thinking too hard. Biting nails, the 'cricket feet' as Watari called it, tapping desks and clicking pens. There was no use getting him stim toys either, he's tried that. He only bit through the chew necklace and messed with the tangle so much it broke. Too many racing thoughts contained within his lanky body, they were bursting to come out and made him fidget more than the average person. And right now while he was trying to figure out what the hell he could possibly get a warrant on to search Light, he could hardly stay still.

The nail biting though, that wasn't good for him. His nails or his teeth, the slight gap in his front teeth was caused by the excessive biting as a child, pushing those teeth apart as they grew in. Not that he really cared for his appearance though (although admittedly you found it kind of cute when he smiled and you could see that slight gap). Watari ruffled L's hair as he walked past, and used the newspaper to gently whack his hands away from his face.

"You're hopeless" he chuckled.

"You put up with me" L replied.

"You were an interesting kid, what can I say?"

That he was, no one was quite like L. Even with a whole orphanage of other kids in very similar situations to him, L was always unique. Having a child prodigy packed full of issues made for a tough but very interesting parenting journey. So by now, L being 25 and Watari still having to follow him around, the older man had grown very used to L's antics.

"Dad do what do you think about the multiverse theory?" L spoke up, the odd question not even phasing Watari while he packed up some of the equipment ready to move hotels tomorrow.

"It's possible I suppose. We'll probably never truly know the extent of what's out there. If space is so big it takes several years just to get to the next planet over, who knows what could be out there" Watari replied.

That was a fair enough conclusion to draw, how could anyone know? Even in thousands of years when technology has progressed extensively, there's still going to be millions of light years undiscovered.

"That, and we do know dimensions exist. Hence 2D and 3D, so who knows what's out there we just can't comprehend because it's on another dimension, there could be. 75D for all we know" Watari added.

"True..." L muttered.

In the back of his mind he thought of you. How you sat in the centre of it all in a way. Able to see all these dimensions and universes with the click of a button, your true form something his human mind couldn't comprehend. It made him wonder, there was a universe out there where he'd already died right? What happened to that version of him after... did the soul go somewhere or was it just nothing? If he'd died too, and you weren't able to save him at the last second, would he have merged with that same soul that had already died?

You did say that if two universes end up the same, they could merge and that would create ripples in that newly merged universe. Would there be two of everyone? Or would they simply both merge into one singular person? Maybe that was why things like the Mandela effect happened, two universes merged and the ever so slight differences get noticed by some people. Or maybe everything would just explode. He'd have to ask you to elaborate on that.

"What's with the sudden philosophical questions about the universe?" Watari spoke up against.

Obviously L couldn't say he'd may a multiverse guardian, but he did have a believable excuse ready to go.

"Kira can kill with only a name and a face, that seems almost supernatural doesn't it? It's made me wonder what's truly out there..." L muttered.

"Me too in all honesty"

Having grown up in a time that was quite religious, that's typically what Watari's mind went to when the topic of supernatural came up. Even though now he wasn't particularly religious anymore, he owned an orphanage full of kids from all kinds of backgrounds so he couldn't he out there pushing certain beliefs on them. So he never really raised L with any set of beliefs either, he let the kid make up his own mind. And up until Kira, L never thought magic or gods or the supernatural existed. Let alone a multiverse and beings that guard it.

Those damn shinigami and their stupid death notes had already melted his brain enough trying to understand how they worked and accept the fact he was wrong, that the supernatural does exist at least some of it does. But you? And the multiverse? It was interesting yes, but absolutely brain melting.