the i love yous

2 times Robby says 'I love you' to Tory and the one time she says it back.

***

1. Her birthday.

If there was something that Tory hated most in the world beside losing was her birthday. The thought of getting older, more responsibilities and just knowing that people will treat you differently now was always something that scared her.

When she turned 17 last year nothing much changed but she knew this birthday was different. Turning 18 meant she was finally an adult. She would be responsible enough to take care of herself, which she had already been doing since freshman year of high school, but this also meant that her snotty and gold-digger of aunt couldn't take any of her money or her brother anymore.

This year she also had friends to celebrate with. This made her more scared and undelighted. Even though having people to talk to and hang out with was nice, she did enjoy those times where it was just her mom and brother singing to her while she ate her decorated cupcake.

So when Robby brought up her birthday and what she wanted to do, she said she never made a big deal on birthdays and she didn't want to start now. He of course understood and he was thankful that at least he got an invitation to join them on her special day.

So there it was. Tory's 18th birthday. Robby had picked out a small chain like bracelet to give her. Believe him that Tory was a hard person to shop for, she never expressed interested in certain things and as far as he knew she probably didn't even like fancy and delicate jewelry. So this sliver chain with her initials was all he could think of when he thought of Tory. It was simple like her but if you looked closely you could see the engravings on the sliver which made him think about all the times that Tory has surprised him.

God he was so in love with her. He actually scared him. He knew he wanted to tell her and he also knew that she probably knew how he felt, but he had never told her or anyone. But today was the day. It was her birthday and he just didn't know how much longer he could hold this feeling in.

"There you are," he heard Tory's voice as she came into her room and sat beside him on the bed. The celebration part was over and now they were just hanging out with each other before they called it a night.

"Here I am," he responded glancing over at her to see the beauty and aura reflect from the natural streetlight.

She was changing into some pajamas and tying her hair up. She let out a sigh and Robby knew that she was tired from the whole day. Brandon, her brother was extra excited today so he made Tory and Robby play a bunch of games with him, he himself was tired too now.

"Stop staring at me, Keene," before he could say something cheesy she stopped him right there.

"Do not say anything I wouldn't," she glared at him and he softy started to smile at her. He just wanted to spill it out right there. 'Tory, I love you.' He was a real pussy, language that Tory would use if she knew what he was thinking about.

He didn't even notice that Tory was all done with her night routine until he felt the bed dip on one side. He saw her lay her head on the pillow but kept her eyes open to look at him.

He took one of his arms and starting stroking her arm that was closest to him. "How was your birthday?" He could tell she was happy and he loved when she mentioned it herself.