Issue 12 - Induction Day

Começar do início

"I've already told you, Billy, Zombie Avengers ate him," Y/N grumbled, hands in his pockets. "Nasty piece of work that guy was. It's a mixture of us old Doc Ock and Anti-Venom. This wouldn't have been his style."

Billy shook his head, amused. "You're still trying to blindsight me with the Zombie story? This guy, I swear."

"You can always see for yourself, Billy; Earth 2149 is all for you. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet."

"Daft, you are completely bonkers." He smirked, looking at the others calling him. "I've got to leg it; we've got to deal with some Spider-Man and Doctor Strange messing with the Multi-Verse."

"Oh yeah, send me a postcard from whatever earth you venture on," Y/N replied, fist-bumping Billy and turning back to me. "Cool guy, Billy. I'm a huge fan of that London accent; can't get enough of it."

"Yeah..." I whisper, watching more Spiders walk by. "How many of us are there?"

"A couple of dozen; we've reached one hundred friendly neighbourhood allies. All of this is quite new. Miguel started this little club ever since you almost destroyed the Multi-Verse."

"Almost? Wait, hang on!" I shout, catching up with Miguel. "That was a week ago; how did you get this all up and running in a week?"

"Time works differently across the Multi-Verse; each world has its time metre we keep track of. One can pass twice as fast as another. For us, that event was six months ago."

Y/N shrugged, giving it not much thought. "Trust me better now; dwell on the matter too much. Say while we're here, O'Hara, old buddy, old pal. Think you can let me loose?"

Another Spider-Man in a red and black suit landed beside Miguel, nodding. "You want me to take him in again, Miguel?"

"That would be great, Peter; I have enough to deal with right now."

Y/N sighed, meeting with the other Spider-Man. "Hey, Otto... How's it been? I hope you kept my cell warm for me." Edging towards me, he whispered. "Don't let this guy push you around us Y/Ns have to stick together. Boy, am I starving! I've been dying for good old ramen; who's up for ramen?"

Y/N quickly left Spider-Man, leaving me alone with Miguel; he glanced over his shoulder, looking at me with a judgemental stare. I didn't think twice about ditching him; this guy was intense. Dragging the Golden Hobgoblin through the construction, neither of us walked in complete silence. A handful of other villains were locked up in similar prisons. I kept walking, only to pause on one catching my eye. 

"Don't get too close to that one. That's an echo of Y/N's old reality that slipped through. Wannabe magician called Mysterio, he almost destroyed two universes with his illusion crap."

Smirking at this, he had his head hung down low. "It's called a quirk. I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for Y/N..."

"Takuya, lock this variant up with the other Hobgoblins. Be careful. This one is super." I watched another Spider-Man take him away, and Miguel waved me over. "My lab, now."

****

Screens filled the room with different worlds, different Spider-Men. He had a watch of them all; I even saw myself scroll by. He was watching me this whole time. Zipping up to the higher platform, Miguel looked down at me, webbing Silk's watch back and handing me a small wristband. "That will stop your body glitching. For the past six months, you and Miles have been high on my list—you more so as of now."

"You've been watching me?" I whisper, paranoid, raising an eyebrow. "Why?"

The screens all reacted, showing Silk entering my dimension. "Get the picture now? It's paramount that you tell me what she told you. You two worked together for a few days, took down Electro and ended up stuck on Earth 1610. What did she tell you?"

I paused momentarily, almost spilling the beans, but something told me to keep my cards close to my chest. "Tell me? I don't quite follow. Was she meant to tell me something?"

"You tell me, was anything mentioned on why she ended up in your backyard? Anything at all?"

"Silk was a part of the Spider Society, wasn't she? That doesn't make sense; you weren't active before the collider almost destroyed Earth 1610."

"As I said, kid, time works differently throughout the Multi-Verse. How did she die?"

"By saving me." I frowned, crossing my arms. "I buried her if that's anything to go by. Will that destroy Miles' world because I did that?"

Miguel shook his head. "It shouldn't. If you know nothing of Cindy's condition, I'll be sure to send you home first."

"Hold on a second, home? As in my earth."

"Earth 1998, the world where everyone is Spider-Man, that's your world, right?"

"Home sweet home. But, if you're in the recruiting phase for this new book club, I could always throw my hat in the ring?"

"No; under no circumstances would we ever bring you in." Miguel snapped, turning away. "We don't need an anomaly here."

"Why not? Is it because I'm not experienced enough? Am I not Spider-Man to you? I may be new to all of this, but I helped save the Multi-Verse; I took down Beetle and Electro. Put an end to Kingpin's plans. Why can't I take on that responsibility? Isn't that what Spider-Man does? Don't make me pull up the great power quote."

"Th-The what?" Miguel replied, squinting. "There's a quote? When was there ever a quote?"

"You know... With great power comes great responsibility."

"You're making this up; no one had ever told me that. Lyla, tell me he's making this up?"

"Sorry, Miguel, it checks out."

"It doesn't matter!" Miguel snaps, pushing Lyla away. "We've already got plenty of more suitable Spider-Men from your world ready to join; we don't need a nobody."

"Is that what you told Cindy Moon the last time she saw you?" I hissed, getting his attention.

"Y/N, are you sure about this? We can just walk away."

I'm sure. Cindy ran away from this lot for a reason; I will find out why. "She did tell you something? What did she say!?"

"She told me I was amazing and I'm Spider-Man. That's all the proof I need to keep going." I mutter, glaring at Miguel. "Just give me a chance, one chance. I can do this; I don't want what happened to Cindy to happen to anyone else."

Lyla appeared beside Miguel, holding her hand up and covering her mouth. "We can use the extra manpower, Miguel. The anomalies aren't slowing down anytime soon."

Gritting his teeth, he turned away, cursing under his breath. "One shot, you get one shot. If you mess up in any way, you get sent home with no expectations."

"Thank you, Miguel! You won't regret it, I promise you. We're going to make a great pair."

"We?"

"Yeah, me and Carange."

Rubbing his face, he was already regretting all his life choices. "Maldita sea todo... The kid has a murderous Symbiote; it's like giving a toddler the nuclear codes and telling them to have fun—one chance. Lyla, show him to his room. Remember, Y/N, one chance."

Leaving the lab, I smugly pulled up Silk's Spider mask, smiling. "One chance is all I need. I will find out the truth, Silk, no matter what. Even if it kills me."