The Surprise (Part 1)

Začít od začátku

Damen knew that Lord Berenger had put himself in danger when he was at the Regent's court. The courtier offered funds and passage through Varenne to help Laurent's cause.

Ancel threw back his fiery hair once more and said with a smile that melted bronze:

"I assure you that the gift this time isn't a blowjob for the King of Akielos!"

Lord Berenger's nudge to Ancel made a noise and caused Lazar's mouth to open even wider.

"Ouch, my lord, this is just a joke! Hadn't we been told it would be a feast without formalities?" Ancel complained, grimacing in pain. "I haven't seen the King of Akielos in a long time. I thought it would be a good way to make him comfortable..."

Laurent kept his countenance up, but there was an expression of dismay on Damen's face.

"No, this isn't a good way to make me comfortable. I thank you for your presence at King Laurent's birthday, Lord Berenger and Ancel..." said Damen formally.

"You look good in those Akielon clothes, Exalted. That's not the memory I have of you from that day in the bower, believe me..."

Of course, Ancel mentioned again the time when he had blown Damen in public when everyone thought the Akielon man was a slave.

Damianos didn't want to deal with those memories.

"You should have forgotten that by now, Ancel." replied Damen, blushing a little.

Damen looked over Lord Berenger's shoulder to see Pallas turn his head toward Nikandros and move his mouth silently as he asked:

"Who is that?"

"A Veretian man. Don't think too much about it..."

Finally, Laurent raised his pale eyebrows and said sternly:

"Perhaps I should ask Lord Berenger to lend me your tongue again, Ancel."

"Always at your service, Your Majesty..."

"Forgive us. He's still young..." Lord Berenger apologized and pulled Ancel aside, while Lazar followed the red-haired pet with his widened eyes, receiving a nudge from an irritated Pallas.

Then it was the kings' turn to speak to Charls, who had enchanted eyes next to his assistant Guilliame.

"Your Majesty! King Lamen!"

The four men paused for a while and chatted while Charls told them information about the cloth trade and news from his travels through distant kingdoms.

"Empress Vishkar of Vask recently united with her concubine Pari and made her her consort. I know why I got all the fabrics and wedding decorations for the kingdom. It was a wedding befitting an empress. I think the other concubines and Vishkar's own husband were jealous. But I think, faced with such a woman, it's only natural that Empress Vishkar herself would lose her head..." - Charls said with an absent look.

Guilliame, standing next to Charls, nodded emphatically. Laurent's eyebrows drew together almost imperceptibly.

"I had heard of a marriage. Is Pari as beautiful as they say ...?"

"Reality surpasses all imaginings and comments. I've never seen a more beautiful woman, and believe me, I've experienced much, Your Majesty, and traveled to many distant lands. But tonight, Your Majesty will have the opportunity to see Pari with your own eyes..."

"She'll come?"

"Yes. As a representative of the Emperor..."

After a while, Damen and Laurent greeted Paschal and Loyse.