Chapter 15 - The morning after

Beginne am Anfang

__

As I clumsily handled my trackhoe duties, a sense of unease and nervousness overwhelmed me. In the midst of my task, a critical error occurred, prompting a loud scraping sound that echoed throughout the Glade. The noise immediately drew the attention of nearby Gladers, including Newt. His usual composed demeanor shattered, replaced by an outburst fueled by frustration and impatience.

"Bloody 'ell, Y/N! What the shuck are you blimin' doing? Are you buggin' out in the 'ead?" anger raised inside of me at his words, why is he speaking like this to me? "Sorry, Newt. I didn't mean to mess up. It was a mistake" I said angirly.

"A bloody mistake? This is more than just a buggin' mistake, Y/N! Are you thick as a shuckface or what?"

His words struck deep, and I could feel anger welling up inside of me. " You know what, Newt? I'm sick and tired of your constant klunk! We're all giving it all, and all you can do is shout at us like a shank!" Newt's eyebrows furrowed, his eyes widening in surprise at my sudden outburst. Unbeknownst to me, he maintained a steely facade, deliberately acting this way to create distance between us.

As I stormed away from the workplace, fueled by anger and frustration, I couldn't help but notice a single raindrop landing on my shoulder. Confusion flickered across my face, quickly replaced by disbelief as more raindrops followed, showering down upon the Glade. Raining in the Glade? The shuck?

My steps faltered, and I glanced around, witnessing the bewilderment and shock etched on the faces of my fellow Gladers. The once familiar and predictable environment of the Glade was suddenly disrupted by the unexpected downpour. It felt surreal, as if the very fabric of our existence had been momentarily shattered.

Without a second thought, everyone scrambled for shelter, seeking refuge in the homestead. The once bustling Glade turned into a chaotic scramble as Gladers dashed towards safety, their usual banter replaced by a mix of confusion and concern.

I found myself caught up in the rush, my anger momentarily forgotten as I hurriedly made my way towards the homestead. Rain soaked through my clothes, plastering my hair against my forehead.

I found a nice corner for me to sit in, waiting for the rain to fade away just like the others did. The air was thick with a sense of disbelief and unease. The Gladers huddled together, their expressions mirroring a collective sense of astonishment. The rain drummed against the roof, creating a symphony of uncertainty that echoed through the room.

After a while, Thomas, with his ever-present curiosity, approached me, concern etched on his face. "Y/N, are you okay? I... I'm sorry about this morning. I didn't mean to upset you. I didn't even think it was that funny." He admitted, I looked at him. "Then why did you laugh?" he shrugged his shoulders at my question "Minho did it... and I wanted him to think I was funny." he confessed as he sat down next to me.

"Minho? You like Minho?"

"I dunno.. There's something about him that draws me in. He's confident, funny... sometimes.." y/n smirked at his words. I think he likes Minho... but I didn't say anything. Don't know why, I just felt it wasn't right to discuss his sexuality. I didn't know him that well.

"Hey, speaking of Minho.. haven't they've been in the maze for some time now?" Thomas eventually asks, pulling me out of the thoughts of him and Minho being in love.

"Yeah... but knowing Minho, he's capable. I'm sure he'll find his way back safely." But I wasn't sure of that, it was soon time for the doors to close and no Minho or Alby...

As this conversation with Thomas continued, a shadow approached us, catching our attention. It was Newt, his face screaming with jealousy . He held out a blanket towards me.