Chapter 1 Dreams Do Come True

Start from the beginning

"You're the same selfish girl I knew. You grew up to be a spoiled brat" he persisted.

If not for the pride I'm still holding on to, I could have allowed the tears, threatening to fall.

After Mom died, Dad and I were never been in good terms. I'm used to his mockery but he is still capable to hurt me. My own father doesn't know me.

Composing myself, I stare into his cold eyes.

If not for the hundred guests inside the massive ballroom of one of the hotels owned by the F&D Group of Companies, I could have openly confronted all of them. But I still have manners left, contrary to what everyone presumes me to be.

"I was made a fool" With a razor-sharp gaze I turn to Alice and Karen from afar.

And expectedly, the two are also looking at me. Our eyes met and I could clearly see the triumphant smirk on both of their faces. What else was new? They have been scheming their way to steal my father's affection for several years ago. And they succeeded. So I'm not surprised they stole my very wealthy boyfriend.

"Especially of you, Dad. You're the only family I have aside from Grandma. The least you could do is protect me from those scheming bitches you called wife and daughter" With a clenched jaw, I mutter.

"Abigail!" he is riled but he tries to control his voice. His reputation is way more important than the pain consuming me. He never sees me as me. And it's way more disappointing.

A bitter smile carves my lips as I try, for the last time, to make him understand how I feel.

"I'm hurt not because I love Justin so much. I'm hurt because of the betrayal of my family, especially by you" I whisper while staring blankly at my half-filled glass. It will always be like that. I can never fill the glass my father had set for me.

"I expected you to be more mature, Abigail. Eight long years abroad and you came back like you never left. Just the same rebellious girl who is set to get whatever she wants. You've wasted so much money and you came back worst than before" he whispers with a clenched jaw. He is furious but ironically, I'm rather amused than afraid.

That was the last straw. I'm fully convinced he will never understand me. He never did and I will never try to make him, ever again.

Even he doesn't deserve to know about what happened to the eight years that I've been gone.

"Why can't you be just like Alice?" his last spiteful words almost knocked me down. His voice is full of disdain that it pierced my heart.

I've been compared to Alice for years and every time, it hurt so much. But today hits differently. It crushed my whole being, coming from my own father.

"Alice may just be my stepdaughter but she shows immeasurable regard for the company more than you did. This is your inheritance but Alice is the one killing herself to help me and Justin. Now, could you blame Justin for not falling for her? All you did is spend the money they worked hard to earn" he scorned as he meet me in the eye.

I scoff as I took another sip. I have nothing to counter him nor I'm interested in even trying.  Whatever their perception of me had concretized years ago and there's no way I could change it by countering him. And the searing pain in my chest is choking me, it's becoming unbearable. I need to gulp my drink to ease my distress.

"Justin will not marry a brat, nor his family will allow it. Yes, their relationship was a consensus of both families. His parents support their relationship. Even the Board has agreed. Their marriage will be beneficial to the company" he added the last blow that whack my breath off. It took me a moment to regain my composure as I try to smile, though it surely came out bitter.