Chapter 9 - Tortuga

TORTUGA.

The sail to Tortuga was smooth and fairly quick. "Dock just in the bay, the Commodore and I will row out." I instructed the steersman, who nodded and I went to go and find James, I hadn't told him yet that he was coming ashore with me. "Commodore, you're going to come ashore with me but not wearing that." I said behind him, causing him to whip round in shock. "I need to you to be my guard, people in that port want to kill me, and as a Commodore I suspect you know your way about a fight. Plus don't you want to keep an eye on me? This is a place of drunkards and chaos, I could easily escape." I shrugged. "Oh, you can't wear that." I shouted over my shoulder as I went off to my quarters. I picked up my pistol and examined it and then grabbed my sword belt and put that on before James burst through my door.

"What do you think you're playing at Miss Swann?" He fumed, I ignored him I put on my blue coat and wrapped my red bandana round my head. I chucked him a deep red coat to help in blend in. "Seriously, are we not going to talk about this, I can't leave my crew here." He stated chucking the jacket in front of me and grabbing my arm.

"We don't have much choice, James please, I need you with me on this one. I haven't spoken to my cousin since we left her here, and I am ninety nine percent sure she wants to kill me, please, I can either take you or Gillette, up to you." I said looking him in the eye. I saw him weighing his options before he let go of my arms and sighed, he shrugged his jacket off and picked up the one he threw earlier he looked out with disgust. "Oh relax James, it's brand new." I laughed rolling my eyes, he sent me a glare and put the jacket on. I then waked up to him and removed his hat and the ridiculous powder wig. "I want you to blend in and not scream I am the navy, that's how we'll get killed. Just relax, and stick by me alright." I grinned, he looked at me something I couldn't decipher was held in his eyes.

"Alright, fine, this is your world. Let's go." He said leaving, I grinned and left. "Look at that rudder, we'll be back by nightfall. Under no circumstances are any of you to leave this ship." He said looking at every man as we climbed into the long boat. I took the oars and begun rowing to shore.

"James, keep your mouth shut, let me do most of the talking." I said looking at him as I tied up the boat, he nodded as we set off into chaos. I placed a hand on my cutlass and began weaving my way through the ale stench patrons of Tortuga. The hell hole that the navy created a safe haven for us all. We pushed our way through until I saw Vagabond, he had wanted my head since I stole his entire supply of rum ten years ago. He was approaching and I was beginning to panic.

"Charley? What's wrong? Who's that guy?" James whispered in my ear noticing that Vagabond was staring at the two of us.

"He wants to kill me, he's not sure it's me though." I whispered back, I felt James put his arm around my waist and I got the drift of his idea and leant into him. Vagabond started approaching us and James turned me round so I was facing him. "I apologise in advance." He whispered as he kissed me. It was intense I had never been kissed like that before and I loved it.

"'Xcuse me mister." I heard Vagabond say.

"Piss off, get ya own girl." James said pulling away briefly before capturing my lips again. We heard Vagabond walk off and James pulled away and looked at me before apologising again.

"James, stop apologising, you saved my life. Now come on it looks like you could use a drink." I said grabbing his hand and dragged him to the Faithful bride.

"Ah, if it's Bonnie Little Charley!" Sam shouted as we entered. "What can get for you and your friend here? A key, and some rum eh?" He laughed.

"Not tonight Sam, just the rum. Did my uncle pass through 'ere." I laughed throwing the coins on the counter.