eight. under the trapdoor

Start from the beginning

The Transfiguration and Charms exams were easy, although both were practical. Archer was sure he passed with flying colors each time he left the classroom.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was probably the easiest, most likely due to the fact that Archer was the best in his year at it. Marty always prided his younger brother about this, and bragged about it to whoever would listen. Most people were still angry about losing one hundred and fifty points, so hearing about the young Griffin's brilliance didn't go out well.

The final exam of the year was History of Magic, and Archer finished ten minutes before the hour-long time period was up. By the time he set his quill down, he was sure he'd forgotten entirely what the test was about.

Once Professor Binns allowed them to leave, they all cheered. Finally, exams were over and in the following week, they would find out how well they did.

"That was far easier than I thought it would be." said Hermione as they collided with the large crowd in the outdoor hallways, which were extremely hot. "I didn't even need to know the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager."

Hermione wanted to go over the exam papers, but Ron insisted that it would make him sick, so they sat outside under a tree near the Black Lake. Archer watched as the Weasley twins and Lee played with an octopus that was swimming around.

"No more studying," sighed Ron cheerfully as he sprawled out in the grass. "You guys could look more cheerful, especially you, Harry. We've got a week before we find out how bad we've done."

Harry had his fingers pressed to the scar on his forehead. His eyes were squeezed shut.

"I wish I knew what it meant," Harry mumbled. "It's hurt before, but never as often as this."

"Go to Madam Pomfrey," suggested Hermione casually.

"But I'm not ill. I think it's a warning... something is coming."

Archer leaned forward in interest, but Ron, who was too hot to start theorizing, said, "Harry, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down."

Archer laughed shortly at his joke, but still felt a heavy feeling on his shoulders. Something felt off, and he encountered the weird, prickling feeling on the back of his neck many times.

Harry leapt to his feet randomly.

"What?" Archer inquired. He fixed his posture against the tree that he was leaning on.

"Where are you going?" Ron asked lazily.

"I- we have to go to Hagrid's. Now." Harry was nearly as white as snow, which made Archer get up as well.

Both boys started rushing towards the hut, but Hermione was a bit slower, so she was a good five feet behind them when she said, "Why?"

"Isn't it a bit odd," Harry began, "that what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have an egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs if it's against wizard law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before?"