Chapter 1

Sanjana

''Sanju! My girl, you made us proud.'' My grandfather, Kishore Khanna pecked my forehead stuffing my mouth with a piece of dessert. I grinned wide, taking in all the affection my loved ones poured on me. After all, I had not only cleared the entrance but managed myself a seat in one of the most prestigious university in the country.

Khanna family is a big joint family, we all live close by. My great-grandfather started from scratch and had built a profitable but small local perfume business. With time, the family grew and the business as well, but we kept it together. There are list of rules and it keeps the harmony going. I , have always been the good girl of the family and all love me.

''So, excited to be finally free.'' My elder cousin, Karan teased.

''I was always free.''

''What I meant, you can break some rules and grow some wings.'' He winked. My grandfather patted his back. ''She knows her values.'' Karan just nodded. The conversation ended that moment and I got busy being hugged and pampered by rest of my family.

Yes, I was excited to be a part of new world. Like any other young girl, I too had Bollywood college dreams. But I wasn't okay breaking the rules. I smiled to self, I will always be the girl who will make her family proud.

On that day, I wasn't aware that in few years, I would grow a spine harder than anyone. I wasn't aware that one day, I would break the rules and challenge the world for someone so fiercely.

Redwood University was one of the top private University with plethora of courses. It wasn't easy to get into the university as they just entertained the best. In short, I was beyond excited for next 5 years of young adult life. I had chosen a course in Marketing and PR with a dream to make my local family business global. I had got a Dual Degree full time campus program and was hell excited about it.

Once alone in my room, I smiled to self; dancing around the room. The feeling was amazing , but Karan bhai's words kept ringing my ears. He and grandfather never go along but I know Karan bhai loves us all. Minor disagreements are there in all families. I shrugged, hoping this love and togetherness stayed for life.

***

''Miss Sanjana Khanna, your block is E; and apartment 33.'' I smiled thanking the lady behind the admission desk. My dad had accompanied me to the campus. He was put up in a guest -room and I was being driven to my apartment. Grandfather had decided to get me an apartment instead of regular hostel. He wanted me to be at ease. The campus had facility of both apartment and hostel and students could opt on the basis of their budget.

I was in an awe of the campus. It was nothing less than a mini city located in a valley surrounded by snow clad mountains. I looked around curiously , it was like a dream come true. It was like a rainbow had bursts all its colours into this campus. My classes were set to start early next week and my heart was so overwhelmed with the dreams about new life and being away from my family for so long, but the thought of making them proud filled me with new energy.

I was greeted in a 2 bedroom apartment by a girl with pixie cut. She inspected me from head to toe. ''Your room is in the left, hall and kitchen is common. Don't interfere in my life and I won't interfere in yours.'' I blinked, but then ignored. The feeling of living independently was so empowering . I had to go meet my dad as he was leaving the same evening.

***

Rishi

The campus buzzed with activity. New batches had started arriving and their curious faces reminded me of myself a year back. I was an architecture student. But I had older relationship with this campus. I had been alumina was redwood high, a prestigious boarding. I was planning to do my graduation and post-graduation before joining my dad in his construction firm. Zipping my jacket, I made my way out of my apartment which I shared with my childhood friend Jai. I made my way towards the library , I needed few reads to finish my assignment and it weekend seemed the best time.

Though winters were far but the drizzle had turned he surroundings cold. As I made my way towards the building , a hard impact made me lose my balance throwing me on the floor. ''Can your watch where are you going.''

''No, I my eyes are blurry with tears and I am lost.'' Came a muffled voice. Dusting off my clothes I stood up facing the goof ball that kept sniffing and looking around.

''New here?''

''Yes!''

''What is your block?''

''E.'' She sniffed again.

''I will walk you there. And why are you crying.''

''My dad just went back home. I 'm just emotional.'' I nodded. That happens all the time but I was now immune to it. All my life I had spent in boarding and people around felt more like family than the ones related by blood. My parents love me, but they are ambitious and successful people. They didn't wanted my life impacted with their travel and bust schedule. However, they never wanted my studies to be compromised and that led me to REDWOOD family

''We are in E, what's your apartment number?''

She blinked looked around and then stood facing me with frown on her face. ''I am thankful you walked me here and I am no telling you more.''

I pressed my lips. Locking my arms behind my back, I leaned further to her face level. She wasn't used to cold, her cheeks and nose had turned red . The mist cleared between us and I could see her now clearly, she was cute.

''May I know why you wouldn't tell me more?'' I wanted to tease her

She rubbed her nose once, looked up and replied confident. ''You look like a bad boy, and I have been warned against them.''

I couldn't help but laugh, I get that a lot. ''And how I am a bad boy?''

''You look like them.''

''How does a bad boy looks like?''

''Like you!''

''How many have you met and what gives you the right to judge me.''

She opened her mouth but didn't say a word. ''Why am I even talking to you. But Thank You again.''

With that the little goof ball vanished somewhere. 'BAD BOY'! Yes; that I am. Walking away I gave one glance towards the mist in which the goof ball disappeared. I don't know why but a chuckle escaped my lips and I made my way back to the library

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.