"But, Ada," Ava pouted, whining softly.

"We can hang out some other time, okay? Just the two of us," Adalynn said as she kneeled down.

"Oreo too?" Ava asked, looking at the frenchie curled up in his dog bed.

"Oreo too," Adalynn smiled softly as she kissed the toddler's forehead. "Go have fun with Mommy and Tina, okay?"

"Mama," Ava corrected. "Titi my mama."

"Right," Adalynn nodded, chuckling softly. "Go have fun with your moms and sister. I promise we'll hang out soon."

"Pinky promise?" Ava asked, holding her small pinky up.

"Pinky promise, Ava," Adalynn said as she linked their pinkies together.

****

As expected, Rachel was fucked, and not in the good way.

Lucky for her, Adalynn had been studying the Funny Girl script ever since she arrived in New York. She sat in front of the vanity in Rachel's dressing room. She wore the diva's Fanny Brice costume, which fit just right. Her hair and make-up was done, and she had been resting her voice all afternoon.

"That bitch owes me big time," Adalynn mumbled as she looked through the script for a final time.

"Who the hell are you?"

Right on time.

Adalynn turned around in her chair, holding her chin up high as she looked up at Sidney Greene. "I'm Adalynn Hummel, Rachel Berry's close friend. I'm going on as Fanny, and unless you want to spend the next couple of hours handing out refunds to angry New Yorkers and annoying tourists, I suggest you keep your mouth shut and let me do my thing."

"Where's Rachel?" Sidney asked.

"She's not here," Adalynn shook her head. "But I am," she said as she stood up. "And I know you have no idea who I am or what I can do, but trust me. I've got this."

"Curtain's up in five," the man sighed as he left the dressing room.

****

Adalynn felt in her element as she performed on the Broadway stage in front of thousands of people. Sure, they had all come to see Rachel – with the exception of Quinn, Santana, Brittany, Bailey, Tina, Julian, the twins, and her brothers – but it was clear the crowd adored her as much as her friends did.

She wasn't nervous about performing. Even though she wasn't familiar with the cast and didn't have a lot of time to prepare, she didn't let that stop her from putting 110% effort into her performance. She just hoped that it was enough to keep Rachel from getting fired, which was definitely looking like a possibility.

Adrenaline coursed through her as she sang the final song of the show, tears filling her eyes as she cherished the final moments of this incredible experience. The audience erupted in applause as the show ended. A smile spread across Adalynn's face as she made eye contact with Quinn, who was cheering louder than everyone else, a look of pure pride and adoration on her face.

****

"So, I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone by thanking you for keeping me from getting fired and humiliated by making sure the show wasn't canceled," Rachel said as she finished up making dinner.

"I can't believe they didn't stone you to death anyway," Adalynn shrugged.

"Yeah, well, they still might," Rachel said as she placed a bowl of pasta down on the table. "I emailed Rupert and Sidney and explained the whole situation to them, and all I got back was an email saying that I had to come in for a mandatory meeting tomorrow."

"You're so screwed," Adalynn shook her head.

"Yeah. Well, I mean, I don't know. At least I'm not going to be sued or anything for all the tickets they would have had to refund if the show had been canceled."

"Don't worry about it," Adalynn said with a small reassuring smile. "I had a blast, and I was a little sad when it was over since I was only doing it once."

"You could always audition for a Broadway show of your own," Rachel suggested.

"No, I don't think so. I have my heart set on this TV show."

"Speaking of, how did your chemistry read go?"

"I think it went pretty good," Adalynn nodded. "There was another girl reading for Fallon who looked just like me, and it kinda freaked me out. Her name was Liz, and I swear we could be twins."

"I mean, who knows?" Rachel shrugged with a chuckle. "Maybe there was a mix-up at the hospital and you guys got separated."

"Maybe," Adalynn chuckled. "So, uh, what's the second bird?"

"Bird is da word!" Maya shouted from Kurt's room, making the two brunette's in the kitchen laugh.

"Well, I mean, I wanted to see what you wanted in return," said Rachel.

"Why would I want something in return?" Adalynn frowned as she took a sip of water. "I mean, I guess I can see why it might come off like that sometimes, but, in the moment, my only thought was saving your dumbass from getting fired. And, let's face it, we've both been through so much together, and we're probably gonna be sister-in-laws one day. I care about the people in my family...so I guess that means I care about you. Don't tell anyone."

"I won't," Rachel chuckled. "I made it in time for the second act, by the way. You were really good."

"Thanks," Adalynn smiled.

"I just can't believe I screwed it all up," the diva mumbled. "I mean, I had everything, and...all my dreams had come true, and I threw it away. And for what? Nothing."

"Okay, look," Adalynn sighed. "I don't know what Sidney is gonna do to you tomorrow. Maybe he'll fire you. I know I would. But I also know that you are the type of person that can't be held down. You're talented, so no matter how awful you are, people are always gonna want to work with you."

"That was kind of nice...I think..." Rachel said as the younger girl shrugged innocently. "You're a really good friend, Adalynn."

"I am when I want to be," Adalynn said with a small smile. "Or really, when you're not making me want to no body, no crime you."

"No body, no crime?" Rachel frowned.

"If there's no body, that means there's no crime," Adalynn smirked. "I have it all planned out."

"Should I be concerned?"

"You should probably run while you still can."