NEW YEARS SPECIAL!

༺❦༻

❝ i WISH i could live through
every MEMORY again, just one
more time before we float off
in the wind !

here with me, d4vd.

CHEERS AND SHOUTS of joy erupted from all over the neighbourhood. it was almost the new year, which usually meant new resolutions, celebrations and coming into the new year with family and friends.

so if happiness was spread throughout this special occasion, then why did finney feel so empty?

he knew the answer to that.

it had been exactly one year since the incident. one year since he lost two of the most valuable people in his life. the past 365 days each seemed to drag on, holding no emotional and physical value to him anymore.

sure, he still had his family and donna to try cheer him up and distract him from it, but in the end, he's always thinking of the same thing.

being alive everyday was like a blessing and a curse: being alive and living his life for the sake of his best friends who insured it, or a curse to which he was the only one who survived. he could've saved his best friends.

why did only he survive?

that thought haunted him every hour of the past 365 days.

so alas, here he was, standing around his father and sister, along with other relatives he wasn't close with, celebrating the new year. it was odd, having a frown whilst everyone around him had bright wide smiles.

he wasn't aware of him spacing out until he felt a hand shake his shoulder. "finney! finney?" gwen's voice pulled him out of his trance.

he immediately snapped out of his thoughts and turned to her, not realising he put on a fake smile automatically, "yeah?"

gwen sighed, a frown now evident on her face, "i know this year has been hard for all of us, and especially you. but can you just at least try to have fun?"

finney looked away and into the sea of parents and adults having conversations. he was weighing out his options: either listen to gwen, or continue to sulk in the corner for the rest of the night. he preferred the second option, if he was being completely honest. he was tired.

it wasn't the same.

gwen noticed his hesitant behaviour, "hey," she said, catching his attention again, "if you don't want to, i'll cover for you."

finney's face lit up only momentarily, but gwen missed that side of finney more than anything. she knew he was trying his hardest to forget, even letting people call him 'finn', so she wanted to do everything in her power to try and cheer him up slowly but surely, whilst also letting him heal.

"cover for me?" he asked to which his sister nodded. she understood. not many people do, so that's why he appreciates gwen more than anything.

he then left the social room and headed straight for his safe haven: his bedroom. those four walls have held more emotion than ever, and his pillow has caught more tears than dreams.