Patricia nudged him with her elbow. “Remember this when she needs therapy later” his wife whispered to him. She wasn’t serious and had a smile on her face but Bill was smart enough to know that there was a hint of truth with what she said. Unlike him, Patricia had a keen dislike for horror movies preferring comedies or action films instead. She didn’t mind that Callie liked the things her daddy liked but she was very firm about how much of those things her daughter could watch, with or without daddy’s permission. Bill had adhered to her boundaries because he knew that, eventually, it would be Callie’s decision. 

He took a moment to allow himself to just be happy. He had a wonderful family and a damn good life. And he was very aware that he was lucky and that many others weren’t so much. He was grateful and always tried to express his gratitude whenever he had the chance. 

Turning to his daughter, he crouched down to her level and looked her costume over. “You are the prettiest zombie princess I’ve ever seen,” he told Callie. 

  “Daddyyyy”, Callie sighed, “zombies ain’t pretty. They’re scary”. To prove her point she put her arms in front of her, hands outstretched and made a rawwwer sound. Bill and Patricia both pretended to be afraid and that made them all giggle. 

 “Right you are, Cal. What I meant was you look like a pretty scary zombie princess” Bill said. This seemed to placate Callie and the smile that crossed her face made Bill’s heart melt a little, as it always did. “Okay”, Patricia clapped her hands together, “Callie, go finish getting ready and be sure to bring a jacket in case it gets cold later”. Their daughter skipped off, anxious to get started on the trick or treating. 

After she left, Patricia turned to her husband, “So what’s the plan then? Home by nine, right?”. She raised one eyebrow for emphasis as if this wasn’t a question but a demand. He gave her a hug. “Yeah, about that time. We’ll go around here first and then take a drive to Bently Avenue for the last hour or so."

She unwrapped herself from his arms, “Bently Avenue? Are you going all Monopoly man on me? We’re not quite in that tax bracket yet” she reminded him. 

  “Yet being the key word there, my dear. Besides, that’s where all the good stuff will be. If we’re going to find king-sized Peanut Butter Cups that’s our best bet”.

She smiled but shook her head, “You’re willing to drive all that way for something you could get from the grocery store?” she asked. 

  “Hey, a man has needs, and buying them isn’t the same”, he said with a half grin. 

  “Well”, she said snuggling up to him, “A woman has needs too. Be back by nine-thirty at the latest and I’ll give you a real treat”.

Bill snapped to attention and gave an over-the-top salute, “yes ma'am!”. 

              BENTLY AVENUE

So far, it was a pretty good Halloween. Callie already had her pillowcase bag two thirds full with various sweet sugary treats and Bill figured once they left Bently Avenue, her bag would be overflowing. Even though he allowed her to eat a few pieces of candy, he was still surprised at her determination. She loved Halloween and all the traditions as did Bill and he thought about how great it would be to have all that energy again seemingly reserved for children and coke heads. Truth be told, he was getting a little tired already but Callie seemed unaffected by their long walk around their neighborhood. He could see her from the corner of his eye as he drove up to Bently Avenue. She was almost bouncing in her seat, ready to start phase two of their Halloween. 

When they pulled up it was a bit of a disappointment. Hardly any of the lights in the houses were on and it looked like some people had already removed their decorations aside for the year. The Avenue was quiet with a few stragglers heading home, bags full of treats and walking with their heads down after a long night of revelry. But, still, there were a few houses left and Bill was actually kind of relieved. He would make it back by nine thirty after all.