1. The Move

Did I want to move from Riverside, the place I had called home for the last 13 years of my life, to a dingy apartment complex in Reseda that I was fairly sure no one had lived in for decades? No. I really, really didn't.

(And it didn't matter that I didn't have any friends back in California, or that I was miserable from the fact that the only person who would even consider talking to me was my twin brother, because at least I was used to it; and I had come to terms with the fact that my life was always gonna suck.)

I hated the decision from the bottom of my heart.

But I couldn't find it in myself to mutter even a word of complaint when my Mamá and Yaya sat Miguel and I down to break the news. All that mattered at the moment was that my Mamá had been offered a better job in another state, and that maybe this would be a chance for her to finally be happy with where she was working.

Obviously that all still matters now, but my happiness for the women who birthed me was slowly starting to fade away with each box I had to unpack into our new apartment.

Actually–scratch that, I think the happiness had fully faded the minute I laid eyes on the complex we were supposed to call home.

One quick look at my twin brother, Miguel, and I could tell that he was thinking something along the same lines, but trying hard to hide it in front of our Yaya and Mamá, the latter of the two trying to make the busted sink seem like a positive thing to the former, which I had a lot of respect for.

But don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't like our new apartment because it's crappy–which I do–because trust me I've had a lot of experiences living in places like this, so it was nothing new really. It's just that when I was told we were going to be living in a new apartment, I just sort of pictured something, well, new. But I wasn't going to dwell on it.

Earlier, when we first arrived. Miguel told me that he saw one of our new neighbors leaving his apartment, and that maybe we could ask him for help with the sink when he got home since Mamá will be at work and Yaya doesn't speak a word of English.

See, I've already started to adjust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: HELLO TO ANYONE READING THIS BOOK! I'm sorry this chapter is so short, but I'm writing this at 1am on a school night so just think of it as an introduction! I hope you're enjoying it so far, and let me know if there is anything I can work to improve! Thank you!