•chapter four•

"I liked the Mercedes garage better," Indie said, rolling her eyes as she and Darcy walked through the Red Bull garage on a hunt for something more potent than the energy drink Marty had given them. "It was more fun; this garage is boring."

It was halfway through the Friday free practice sessions, and the girls had not seen a single driver, although they hadn't been looking. Fenty Beauty had just dropped a surprise collection that had had Indie glued to her phone all morning, and Darcy was scrolling through tinder, hoping to find some hot F1 personnel.

"Probably not the best thing to say while you're in the presence of the current champion." A sarcastic voice smirked as the girls walked towards the kitchen.

Darcy was first to turn around to discover Max Verstappen standing leaning against the kitchen door. He wore his navy race suit tied around his waist, showing off the logo-covered fireproof shirt. On his head was a flat-brimmed, bright orange hat with his number racing number.

The blonde smiled at the Dutchman, he was even better looking in person, but a displeased look glazed on Max's face. His blue eyes narrowed as Darcy pulled on her friend's shoulder to turn her around, although once she saw Indie's similarly displeased face, she instantly regretted it.

Anyone who knew Darcy and Indie knew that if someone were going to insult you, it would be Darcy. She had difficulty containing her thoughts, but her poker face wouldn't be out of place in Vegas. However, Indie was cutting. If she didn't like someone, you would know it, and from the scowl curling on her lips, it was doubtful that Max Verstappen was about to become her new friend.

"I prefer my champions to win it honestly and not through a human error," Indie remarked with a condensing grin. "But cute boots." She winked and peered down at the gold boots he wore on his feet.

Darcy threw a hand to her head as Max sneered. He ran his tongue along his lip as he looked the brunette up and down. The sneer turned into a half smile once Max took in the outfit she was wearing. Clearly he saw something he liked.

"You know this isn't a school," The Dutchman smirked, pointing at the green and black tartan skort Indie was wearing with a white vest. "But I'm sure there are a few things I could teach you."

There was a blank airiness on Indie's face as the driver attempted to get under her skin. It was comical to watch as not many attempted to wind the brunette up like Max was trying to do. However, Darcy wasn't sure if Max was serious or not, but going by the vein popping in his neck, she opted for he was genuinely getting annoyed.

Indie's eyes narrowed, her mouth opened, and Darcy inhaled sharply. They hadn't even been in the garage for a weekend, and Indie was about to make an enemy out of Red Bull's star driver. Not good.

However, a miracle in the flesh just walked into the garage holding a mug. "Marty!" Darcy shouted as the older man turned around, wearing a branded polo shirt and navy cargo shorts. "Don't suppose you know where the tequila is." She chuckled, causing Marty to shake his head.

"Bahrain is a dry state, Miss Mack." He informed the blonde, who pouted, "But I believe there is plenty in your hotel room." Marty smiled, taking a sip of the hot drink he was drinking.

Max and Indie's eyes were still locked in a scowl until Marty clicked his fingers in front of his daughter's eyes.

"I see you've met my daughter, Max." Marty grinned, not knowing the takedown that had been going on moments earlier. "Max, this is Indigo, Indie, and this is her best friend, Darcy; they will join us for some races this season."

Max took a step back and then burst into laughter. He shook his head as the chuckles snorted out of his nose. His eyes glanced between the girls and then back to Marty.