1

The drive had been a long one.

Sure, there hadn't been any delays on her part, but it had been the length of time spent on roads, navigating the twists and turns, hoping that the navigational system was taking her to the right destination.

One night had been spent in a motel for respite, but she'd been thankful for that.

Now, Nell Harding felt a sigh of relief escape her lips as she passed the sign that said:

WELCOME TO WESTVIEW PINES.

The final destination and now the town that she was to call 'home'.

Just weeks before and bored of city life in the same job that wasn't as rewarding as it had promised to be - Nell had decided to take the leap and leave for a better change. Nothing and no one had influenced her to, other than herself. High school kids were no longer an area of teaching that she wanted to be a part of, but where she was located didn't have much opportunity for her to feel as though she was making the most of her life either.

It was the job advertisement online that had caught her eye. An elementary school in a small town looking for a teacher who could bring something to both the school and the community that seemed to be close knit. Accommodation would also be discussed with the successful applicant.

She'd googled the town itself and immediately knew that she had to apply - within 24 hours she had secured an interview date via Zoom with the principal. Mr Vision.

And that had been the start of a new venture in life. One that she had questioned whether it was the right thing to have done, however there was no turning back now.

Nell was yet to see her home, but apparently it was located on the nice and quiet Lonesome Dove trail, overlooking deer creek. In her mind it would probably need work, with Mr Vision mentioning that it had stood empty for the last couple of years, however Mayor Fury was more than happy for the place to be secured as part of the process.

She could make it her own. But whether it would take long to do so was another matter.

The removal men were already at the house when she finally drove down the small road shrouded in pine trees that was the Lonesome Dove Trail.

Mr Vision had been right, it was quiet and now as she pulled up and comfortable out she took in the sounds that were simply of pure nature.

"Ah! You must be Nell Harding" , a man with an eyepatch was now coming over to greet her. "Mayor Fury, but you can just call me Fury like everyone else around here - got a couple of locals helping your moving guys".

Nell smiled, "that's kind of you - I'm just glad to have made it".

"As are we". Fury replied.

She now took in the exterior of her home that was bigger and nicer than she'd expected it to be.

"I made sure to have Agatha clean the place up for you". Fury stayed as he walked with Nell inside. "You got lucky; this place has been empty last couple of years".

"But it's so nice though?"

"I know, the family whose relative originally owned it have only just decided to let it go. Could've sold sooner but they didn't wanna budge for a while - understandable". Fury shrugged and showed her around.

There was a balcony that led out from the bedroom, showing that the home overlooked the creek and surrounding woodland, the glimpse of the water between the trees - however Nell suspected it could be seen more in the winter. Autumn was fast approaching though.

"Wow..." she said, looking around.

"Now Agatha's left you with a welcome basket in the kitchen, she wasn't sure whether you'd have any essentials". Nick told her as they returned downstairs to the open plan kitchen and living room. The basket that was set in the counter was crammed with things such as coffee, biscuits, and other things. "Milk is in the fridge". Nick simply said and then caught sight of two men now carrying the coffee table through and putting it down. "Ah! Barton, Wilson, this is Nell Harding - our new resident".

Barton and Wilson now introduced themselves as Clint and Sam, the first being a mechanic and the second working on the police force (although it was his day off). Both of them both seemed very welcoming.

"You should come to the Pines Bar, best ale in all of Westview. Thor's a nice guy, he'll make you feel at home". Clint said. "Good food, good drinks, good times".

"I will be sure to stop by". Nell promised. "Thanks for helping out, although you really shouldn't have gone out of your way to".

The pair shrugged, "moving a stressful enough, especially to somewhere new". Sam spoke. "But you chose the right place for sure, where the fun people are at". He now grinned.

Nell looked around. Did you guys want coffee before you head off?"

"We'll let you get unpacked. You need any information there's a visitor centre and whatnot in town". Clint said, "or I'm at the garage, can't miss that".

"Let's let the lady get unpacked and settled, Nell, was nice meeting you". Fury now said as he went to make his way out and gave her a card. "You need anything then call and I'll see what I can do".

She nodded". "Thank you", and once the door was closed, the silence took over.

Not that it was a bad thing, but she was eager to get settled and to see just what Westview Pines had to offer other than what she'd heard about or seen on the town's website.

**

"So, the new teacher has moved in up on Lonesome Dove". Sam said later that evening as he brought over a couple of coffees to the patrol car in which Bucky and Steve sat. Their shift wasn't ending until the early hours, and so their friend and colleague had come to keep the company for an hour or two unless they had a call to respond to. 

"What's she like?" Bucky asked, blowing on his coffee and taking a sip. 

Sam nodded. "She's nice, think she'll fit right in".

"Well, that's always a bonus". Steve said in his usual quiet manner, taking a sip of coffee and staring ahead out the windscreen. "What's her name?" 

"Nell, I think, Nell Harding". 

Bucky nodded. "Think I heard Agatha talking about her to Nat and Wanda the other day - makes you wonder why she decided to come to a place like this". 

"Why not? You did" Sam smirked. 

"Only coz Steve put in a good word to Coulson, if he hadn't, I'd still be stuck in Brooklyn". 

Sam shot him a look, "Brooklyn's welcome to have you back" 

"Shut up Sam". 

Steve simply had a smile on his face but hid his laughter well. It was never going to be a quiet shift if Sam and Bucky were paired together. But as they were all friends outside of work anyway, it wasn't quiet in general. The pair bickered like an old married couple which provided most of the entertainment that Steve needed.

"Alright you two, that's enough". He eventually intervened. "Otherwise I'm gonna get Phil to pair Bucky with John for the whole of next week". 

"No way, I can't stand the guy". Bucky complained. "Thinks the sun shines outta his ass, c'mon Steve even you have to admit that?" 

Steve toyed with the lid of his coffee cup. "In the words of that guy we brought in last week? 'No comment'" He smirked

Bucky chuckled. "So when do we get to meet the new teacher?" 

"Planning the first date already Buck?" Steve smirked to himself, knowing what his friend was like. 

"If it means getting you out the house and getting back in the game..." He started as Steve groaned. 

"Buck...no". 

"It's been four years Steve" His friend now pointed out. 

Steve looked across at him. "And? Look, I'm not ready for anything, no blind dates, nothing serious. I just wanna focus on the job ok". 

Bucky and Sam looked at one another, the latter simply shrugging. There was no getting through to their friend. His loss had meant a part of him had been lost too, but that was what grief did. Even if they did try to coax him into trying to move on somewhat, he never would. 

Bucky simply sighed, "Alright pal, whatever you want".