If I told her Nelson had only had time to help with my hair, would Mama blame Mary? As much as I hated to see someone unjustly accused, I couldn't risk Mary being dismissed, and Mama would do something unreasonable like that. I'd seen her do it before.

So, much to my shame, I remained silent.

****

As someone who had been looking forward to the music, I was shocked at how much talking and moving about occurred during the performance. Despite it all, I was determined to enjoy what I could, and I kept my gaze on the stage, though I knew Mama wanted to join others who were walking. It was only during the intermission that I allowed myself to look around me.

There were several faces I recognized, even if I could not recall the names immediately. It wasn't hard to spot Miss Ramsey and Miss Bywood with the tall Mr. Talbot near them. They appeared to be enjoying themselves.

"Come, Eugenia, let us walk and greet our friends," Mama said, getting my attention. "I cannot focus on the production."

She'd never been fond of music or singing, so I was amazed she had lasted as long she had. The fact that she'd even spent the money for the box was astonishing. As it was difficult to hear anything as it was, I nodded and rose. We hadn't gone a step, and I realized there was someone at the doorway.

"Why, Mr. Landon," Mama exclaimed. "How wonderful to see you again."

Mr. Landon gave a bow. "Mrs. Burnham, Miss Burnham, are you enjoying tonight's opera?" he asked when he straightened.

"Who would not, though I know Eugenia has been looking forward to tonight for some time," Mama said with a laugh. She looked beyond him. "Mrs. Winters, how good to see you tonight. Please excuse me, Mr. Landon."

With a nod, Mr. Landon stepped aside to allow Mama to pass and then stepped closer to me. "Is this your first visit to the opera?"

"Yes, although we have attended the theater twice since the season began," I said, somehow able to speak clearly while being thrilled that he had come to our box to speak to me. "I had not expected quite so much talking, I must admit."

"Yes, we are a rowdy bunch," Mr. Landon said with a slight laugh. "Still, it's to be expected, I suppose. This is the place to be seen, you know, not to enjoy the arias."

"How do the performers stand it?" I wondered, turning my gaze to the stage. "They are putting their all into this production, and yet no one appreciates it. It must be frustrating to them."

Again, Mr. Landon chuckled. "I've never quite thought of it in that way before, but you are no doubt right. I would be discouraged if I were in their place. Perhaps I would even give it up entirely and walk off the stage to make a point."

That outrageous statement drew a laugh from me. "I think I would like to see that."

"I believe the next act is about to begin," he said as others began to retake their seats. "I shall look forward to when we next meet. I hope it will not be so long."

He bowed and left the box as I tried to understand what he had just said. So long? Then, he hadn't seen me the night before? I couldn't believe it was possible!

"Shall we expect a happy announcement soon?" Mama asked as she sat next to me.

"Mama! You mustn't say such things," I said, even though I shared her hopes. I knew better than to say them aloud. "You know how disastrous rumors can be. It would be sure to keep Mr. Landon from wishing me to marry me."

Mama sniffed and faced away from me a much as her seat allowed.

****

Though I wished it were Mary, since the maid knew me better, it was Nelson who helped me undress. "You seem happier tonight, Miss," she commented as she removed the pins from my hair.

"I suppose anyone is allowed to be a little melancholy now and again."

She shook her head as she picked up the hairbrush. "Was there a reason for such melancholy? More than feeling as though you were carrying your family's fortunes on your shoulders?"

How had she remembered that? It had only been a day, and I'd forgotten I'd confided that. "Oh, no. I'm certain I was merely overthinking," I said, with a smile. "Mama and Miss Graham inform me I do so too often."

Nelson raised her eyebrow. "Isn't it better to overthink than not to think at all?"

"Other young ladies do not seem to think so."

To my surprise, Nelson let out a slight laugh. "True enough."

I couldn't hold back my curiosity anymore. "Nelson, you said you thought a different style would suit me. What exactly did you mean?"

"I meant exactly that," she said, her tone amused. "I've taken the liberty of removing a couple of gowns from your wardrobe so that I may show you." She hesitated for a moment. "And tomorrow, a hairdresser will arrive to do something with your hair."

"A hairdresser?" I couldn't help but think of the unsettling gentleman who usually came to dress my hair. "What could he possibly do?"

"Well, we won't know until he tries, will we?"

Her tone was a matter of fact and, of course, she was right. I wanted to look my best, and I'd tried just about everything to do so. "When will he be here?" I asked, hoping I would have some time to resign myself to the idea. Heaven only knew how Mama would react to the plan.

"I expect in the next two days I will receive an answer to my note."

"Is this someone your former employer used?" I asked curiously. Who had she worked for before? I had the feeling Mama had told me once, but I couldn't think of it.

Nelson kept her eyes on my hair as she braided my hair. "You could say that. He's kind and very good at what he does. He will have you looking like a diamond of the first water, and you won't recognize yourself." She paused. "You do want that, don't you?"

To look not like me? "Yes," I said quickly. "Have you...did you mention this to my mother?"

"I think this is something we'd best keep between ourselves."

I could not agree more. "She doesn't appreciate surprises."

"Why am I not surprised," she said almost too low for me to hear. She cleared her throat. "If there's anything I know, it's that when you like the way you look, you will feel as though you can take on anything."

"I can't think of anything I need more than that."

Eugenia (A Lady's Maid Trilogy Novella) Rough Draftजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें