Chapter 5 - Reincarnation

Start from the beginning

I sat there in complete silence for a while before hearing faint mumbling. I got up to see what they were talking about. "Is she ok?" I heard a familiar voice.

"Yeah, she's awake now. What do you need Riggs?" Aether said. Ah, so Riggs is here. I went to go see him but stopped in my tracks.

"You do realize that she has her initiation tomorrow... right?" Riggs said. "I know..." Aether stood there with a worried expression.

"I don't want her to do it. She isn't like us! Sure, she can fight and all, but she won't get through this like that." Riggs sighed.

"I know. I don't want her to do it either, but unfortunately, she has to." He walked away. "I'm sorry Aether, really, I am." The door shut. I froze on the spot, holding my hand to stop it from shaking. Aether walked by me but stopped.

"So... you heard that then," He said. I sighed. "Yeah." He turned around to look at me, a small tear fell from his eye. "Please, be careful Alana."

The night fell as the world slept. I was wide awake, trying to figure out how I was going to win this 'Trial of death'. I sighed, turning to my side and looking at the wall. "Help... I just need help." I slowly drifted off to sleep

"Ding ding ding! Wake up, sleepyhead!" I awoke to Aether standing over me.

"Dude, back up," I said with a glare. "Sorry, sorry." He backed away as I sat up, getting out of bed. I looked around. 'Wait... where am I again? Oh... right. I'm here.' "Oi. Earth to Alana." Aether waved a hand over my face, before going to poke my face. I snapped back into reality and grabbed his wrist. "Not a chance," I said, leaving him in the room. "...Heh?" He said with confusion.

I walked into the kitchen, made some toast, and gave it to Aether. He stared at it. "What about you?" He said. "I'm not hungry," I said quite bluntly. He sighed. "Alana, can we talk?" I looked over at him. His voice was calm, but I could tell he was worried. "Sure, what's up?" He finished his toast and drank some water, before speaking. "I don't want you to do it." His words sent a chill down my spine. "What...?" I said, he looked into my eyes. "I said, I don't want you doing the trial."

I had never seen him like this before. I would be lying if I wasn't slightly intimidated. "No. I'm doing it," I said. He sighed.

"Alana, listen to me-" I cut him off.

"No, you listen. I've come too far to give up now. I've trained my whole life and know how to fight, I'll be fine." Aether turned around, then back at me.

"You aren't listening to me! Regular fighting won't cut it! Didn't you hear me and Riggs!?" Aether started to raise his voice, I stood my ground.

"I'll be fine. I've fought my whole life. This isn't any different from what I've already done!" I said. "You don't understand!" Aether grabbed my shoulders, to which I jumped a bit.

"You can't win! Do you hear me?! They'll eat you alive, Alana. You won't survive a second in there!" I froze. Aether's eyes were full of tears, some of them rolling down his face. I could feel my eyes starting to water. "Aether..." I sighed.

"Please... please don't do this to me," Aether said, loosening his grip on my shoulders. "I'm sorry. But I need to," I said, walking out the door.

Aether fell to the ground, defeated.

I walked down the hallway and then passed by Takashi. "Good morning," He said with a smile. "Heading to school, are we?" I nodded.

"Alright then. Have a good day." I left without a word, walking through the forest towards the town. My blood boiled, but there was also a sense of sadness in me. 'Did I feel bad for Aether? Was I going to regret joining this organization? What do I have to gain from any of this?' Questions flooded into my head, but I ignored them. I arrived at the gate of the school, but suddenly realized I was in casual clothes. 'Crap!' I thought to myself. A teacher tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, seeing her holding an accountability slip. "Ah, crap..." I said quietly.