XI. PENNHURST MENTAL HOSPITAL

Начните с самого начала

Nancy turned to Laurie with a small scowl. "Please, for the love of everything good, don't mention boobs! I want them to take us seriously!"

Laurie's eyebrows furrowed together. "But I am serious! Her tits look great!"

Robin went red once more.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Years ago, Laurie's mother liked to tell Laurie that a smile was the way to win a man's heart. As someone who did not find romantic attraction to men, Laurie decided that a smile was the perfect way to manipulate a man into giving in to her. She gave an almost giddy smile, her nose scrunched up and her front teeth in sight to Robert Hatch. Dr Hatch, the ever so intimidating man, seemed to be staring at Laurie a lot, though she didn't care. She didn't care if his stares seemed to be directed else where than her face.

She just needed to convince him that she was a true academic scholar.

"3.9 GPAs." He mused, looking at the three girls slightly impressed. She put down the papers and remarked in slight shock. "All three of you. Impressive."

"And this is a recommendation from Professor Brantley." Nancy passed him the paper, giving a polite smile. Laurie noticed Robin shift in place, adjusting the dress almost uncomfortably.

"Yeah, I know Larry. Quite well, actually." Robin and Laurie both exchanged a look, finding that coincidence something unexpected.

That should've been the first red flag.

"Eh, you know what they say. "Those who can't do, teach.""

Both Hatch and Robin chuckled and Laurie copied, averting her eyes down to the ground slightly.

"Uh, yes, yes, that's actually why we're here." Nancy replied, exchanging a smile. "I mean, we can only learn so much in a classroom."

Laurie gave a smile, nodding at what she was saying. Being Evelyn, some extremely smart and academic character, was more challenging then she had imagined. For years, she had played the role of the airheaded blonde, now here she was being the academic scholar that she could never see herself being. It was all an act, she reminded herself. You're Evelyn, speak how Evelyn would speak. She'd say something smart... Yes, she'd say something intelligent and wouldn't make herself look like an idiot. "Yes, and us girls have a curious mind when it comes to these sorts of things," she gave a quick exchange with Nancy, who nodded her head. They needed to seem as convincing as possible to appeal to this man that they were in fact three students willing to work on some thesis. "It comes naturally with such minds, academics seem to open unlimited doors for the mind to indulge on, though a classroom is rather suffocating for the free mind to roam around."

Hatch hummed, looking at Laurie. "Yes it does. And I'm sympathetic to your struggle, truly. But there is a protocol to visiting a patient like Victor." Laurie held back the look of pure disbelief that enveloped her the moment Hatch began droning on. They needed to see Victor Creel, not for their benefit, but for Max's. "You put in a request and then undergo a screening process, at which point the board will make a decision." Hatch finished his explanation and immediately looked at the girls. "I can see you're disappointed." He exhaled. "But I'm more than happy to give you a tour. Perhaps you can even speak to some patients in our low-security wing."

"And we'd... we would love that." Nancy gave a forced smile, very much emphasising the fact that what he suggested wasn't exactly what they wanted from this visit. Laurie, or well, Evelyn, hummed.  "It's just that, um..." Nancy clicked her tongue. "...our thesis is due next month."