Prologue

The sky was a deep grey, the rain was clearly in danger of falling, making the atmosphere even more gloomy. People normally dressed in brightly coloured clothes were now dressed in black robes and suits looking in the direction of the lowered coffin.

Loud sobs could be heard coming from a dark-haired man who despite his high status could not hide his pain. Next to him was a young boy with flaming red hair and eyes, similar to his now buried mother.

No tears were shed by the latter, as the task of comforting his father seemed more important to him.

His mother used to tell him that sometimes you have to do something for the happiness of those you love.

He wondered if she had died for it.

|||...|||

The young Cale Henituse could only release his tears in the safety of his room, the throbbing pain that had been in his heart since the news broke finally finding its outlet.

Although he was very young, he knew what it meant: his mother would never return.

He remembered the many whispers about him; why hadn't he cried? Didn't he love his mother? These were probably the questions of the people at the funeral. It was common knowledge that Jour Henituse and Cale Henituse had a very close relationship, their many days walking the land, their laughter brightening the streets. So when no tears were seen on the young man's face it seemed unthinkable.

He wanted to be with his father, but he had locked himself in his room as soon as they returned home. Cale knew that he was in as much pain as he was, if not more. He didn't want to ask too much, but he really wanted to be in his father's arms.

Just today 

|||...|||

Deruth didn't look at him in the eye anymore, nor did he look at him at all. Cale wondered if it was because of his resemblance to his mother, but he wished he could eat with his father again.

Ron's company was one of the only things he had left, his butler was always with him, allowing him to eat with his son Beacrox in the kitchen.

Despite their kindness, Cale still wanted to be with his father for a few minutes, to be able to talk to him, to hear him say that everything would be alright. Was it hypocritical, selfish? Should he be comforting his father?

He wanted to tell Ron and Beacrox, but he didn't want to be a burden to them, so he kept quiet and waited. He hoped that the next day his father would talk to him.

He waited a day , then two , then a month then a year passed .

|||...|||

Cale knew that grief was hard, but he loved his father and would wait for him. The fact that the latter was avoiding him hurt, but when his father spoke to him again everything would be sorted out, they could heal together and become a happy family again; albeit with a missing member.

Ron and all the staff at the manor house kept his heart warm while he waited for Deruth. They looked after him, spent their free time with him, everything they expected his father to do.

And because of this he was happy for a while.

Then one day his father called him and asked him to come into his office. It was probably the biggest smile he'd had since his mother died. He asked Ron to dress him faster, his excitement so great that he missed Ron's sad smile.

Ron looked sadly at the young child as he hurried to the Count's office and sighed before heading for the kitchens.

How will his young master react?

Cale was running, although it was against his training, he couldn't help it.

' Finally! '

They could spend time together again, that was for sure. The wait was worth it.

The maids and butlers watched him run through the corridors, all looking sad and sympathetic for the young boy, though he did not notice.

When the door to his father's office came into view, Cale slowed down. He fixed his clothes and hair before taking a breath and knocking on the door.

His father's voice telling him to come in startled him. He didn't think he'd heard it for so long, let alone addressed him!

He opened the door with a big smile on his face, before it fell at the sight of a woman and a young boy who looked slightly younger than him. His father, however, seemed happy and smiling.

"Cale! Go on, go on! I've got some big news for you! "

Cale did as he was told, happy to see his father so excited.

"Yes, Dad?"

His father's arm came to rest on the woman's shoulder and he spoke.

"This is Violan and this is Basen, now your new mother and brother! You see, Violan and I have been dating for a while now and I decided it was time to get married. "

Cale's smile had now fallen, his gaze fixed on his father's mouth. His mind had stopped registering his words as soon as the words 'new mother' came out of his mouth. New? Was his mother the 'old one'? Was that how his father saw his mother? Did he see him like that too? Was this boy the new one?

During all those months of waiting, of sadness and mourning where Cale had held out, waited for Deruth to come and spend time with him, was his father seeing a woman?

His heart, which had suffered so much since his mother's death, was suddenly numb. He felt stupid.

Violan, who had a kind smile on his face, looked at Cale with a slight unease when no spontaneous answer came. Deruth had told her that his son would probably have an enthusiastic reaction to the news, but he just seemed to have no reaction.

Basen looked at what would be his half-brother in a while and bit his lip nervously.

Tense silence filled the room, making the atmosphere tense.

"Hm, hm" Deruth's fake cough broke the silence "Cale? "

At that moment Cale seemed to regain consciousness and straightened his posture.

There was no sign of a smile or cheerfulness in his face or eyes.

He bowed to Violan and Basen

"I welcome you to the Henituse family" he said before straightening up "If you will excuse me, I have classes to attend, so I will say goodbye".

Not waiting for an answer, Cale turned and left the office, closing the door quickly behind him.

He walked towards his room, but it soon became a race. He jostled a number of maids who gave him pitying looks before finally reaching his door. He opened it with a bang and slammed it loudly before collapsing to the floor. The salty taste of his tears touched his tongue and he could not stop his sobs. He was in pain, so much pain. But his father didn't seem to be in pain for long. His father didn't even seem to mind.

Cale loved him, cared for him, and he was convinced that his father loved him too. For Cale, his father was one of his " people ".

Those people that Cale loved more than anything else, Ron, Beacrox, the maids and butlers who had cared for him with love, all of them were important to him.

As warm arms surrounded him, with the familiar smell of lemon tea, Cale decided that at 8 years old he had had enough pain. And that his father was no longer one of "his people".

|||...|||

Enjoy !