Chapter 4 [bonus scene]

Well, it was terrifying and I suggest kindly, for the sake of our remaining sanity, that none of you assholes ever attempt such shit again," Shinobu chirped happily, "unless you want me to use you as a test dummy for my next poisons that is."

"Oh fuck you, Kochou. You knew from the start that the other asshole was a goddamn fucking Omega and really," Sanemi replied, "you couldn't fucking tell us beforehand ?"

She laughed delicately behind her hand.

"Of course not, Shinazugawa-san! Doctor-patient confidentiality, you know !"

"Yeah well you didn't seem to mind it when you said he was in Mourning" Uzui retorted immediately, frowning.

She paused for a moment, looking darker, before resuming a smile as if nothing had happened. "Ah, but he's not now, is he ? Thanks to Shinazugawa for that, he succeeded where even Kanae and I failed, isn't that amazing ?"

Silence among the assembly, as everyone contemplated the statement that had just been made. Finally, Sanemi just let his head slide until it hit the table he was sitting around loudly, his still full cup shaking dangerously.

"Damn, this whole situation is so messed up it would almost make me want to throw up. So the asshole has been an Omega from the start and rather than an arrogant bitch that I thought he was, he was just fucking traumatized and incapable. to have the correct reactions of a normal and functional human. Great. Fan-fucking-tastic."

"It would not be reckless to think that we could all owe Tomioka an apology for what happened today, but also all these years. Sanemi, in particular, should apologize for all his grotesque attempts at domination made over the years."

"I agree with Gyomei," Mitsuri added, glaringly defying anyone to oppose her, "and I would especially like him to apologize for using his alpha voice on Tomioka. We all owe Tomioka an apology but Shinazugawa-san, there is no denying that you were the most antagonistic towards him."

"I fucking know, I got it, I'd go apologize ! At least if he lets me approach him without trying to tear my throat out. Vicious little bitch."

A few light laughs around the table, because indeed, Tomioka had been a fucking vicious little shit, even though-

"It was kinda hot, though."

Long silence around the table, before shocked cries rose from all sides. Uzui had choked on his sip and was coughing up his lungs, helped by the slaps on the back of Himejima, as Shinazugawa's glass simply ended up on the floor with a loud bang of broken glass. Shinobu and Iguro both had twin expressions of outright horror as Kanroji flushed up to her neck in pure embarrassment.

"Rengoku-san, what-"

"Damn, Kyojurou, what the hell ?! Warn a man before you say that kind of shit !"

"Rengoku-san, should I offer you an urgent consultation to check your head ?"

Said man only raised an eyebrow, sipping his water slowly, as if he did not understand their reactions to a remark that seemed to him to be quite relevant. Shinazugawa blinked a few times, looking at him intently, before covering his face with the palm of one of his hands.

"Fuck, I can't believe you're serious. What in the fucking hell, Rengoku ?"

"What ? Did I say something wrong ?"

"Well, other than the fact that we didn't necessarily need to know that you were being interested in this way by Tomioka," Shinobu began, still baffled," I think it's mostly that if people who want to, I quotes "rip your throat out with their teeth" are your type, I think that its worth worrying about."

"If that's your type, you might as well go get some demons," Obanai sneered, triggering a series of laughs.

Rengoku didn't respond, just sipping his water, a quiet smile on his face as he remembered Tomioka's tense form protecting Kamado. At the time, with the adrenaline and the speed at which everything was unfolding, it had been terrifying yes. But now that the event had passed ... What a passion ! What exemplary dedication ! Tomioka had been majestic there, protecting his children with all his strength and all his will, refusing to bow in the face of adversity. And then, then, the way he had built his nest, so attentive to the placement of each object even though he obviously had no idea what he was doing ! It was absolutely adorable ! But not as much as the puppy pile he had made with the Kamados, the exhausted children curled up against him and the way he arranged his haori to cover them, never stopping keeping them safe by watching out for the Hashiras ! Really impressive ! And very, very attractive ! Because he now knew that in addition to being good looking and competent, Tomioka was also a great parent !

"Fuck, Rengoku stop smiling like that ! You give me the creeps !"

Just to be contrary, Kyojurou smiled even more.

"Kochou, since you're the one who knows him best, do you think he would appreciate a bouquet or food more?"

"Rengoku, for god's sake-"