Untitled part 1

Beginne am Anfang

"I was just telling mom about our plans for City of Squares. Did you finish the roof?"

"Sure did."

Mom put a plate with half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in front of each of them and stepped back to give them a knowing look.

"Eat some vegetables." She looked at Tim as she put a glass of milk in front of him.

He smiled and said "Thanks Mom."

As she turned to the counter Joe kicked him under the table and looked at him hard, to let him know she knew something. Tim wrinkled up his brow and shrugged his shoulders.

Mom was gazing out the kitchen window with her arms folded in front of her and said, "It's a beautiful day out, not too cold. I thought you boys would be clamoring to run outside."

Joe looked at Tim, blue eyes wide. "Tell her" he mouthed. Tim frowned and shook his blond head slightly. He was afraid.

"How 'bout after you finish your homework, you head outside and blow the stink off," she continued.

"Um, Mom. We don't want to go outside," ventured Joe.

"And why not?" She was still facing the window.

"Well, there's City of Squares and..."

"Joseph Martin Cubson, are you telling me that you'd miss out on building a snow fortress to play with Legos?"

"Sure, Legos are great. Sort of practice for building forts." Joe looked at Tim. "And, well Tim?"

Mom turned from the window and stared at Tim. At first he could only look at his sandwich then he slowly looked up at her.

"Timmy, please tell me if someone is bothering you."

"Mom, I keep having this dream that something really bad happens out in the snow."

"A bad dream?" her relief evident.

"No, more than that. I had the same dream three nights in a row. It's horrible." He stopped, not sure if he should describe the details.

"There is all this blood and it's coming out of this man" he couldn't hold back. "And there's a slashing thing in front of him and he only went to get his mail but the metal slasher was waiting for him.. It knew that he would snowshoe to get his mail, it waited in the trees and then snuck behind him and when he turned to head back to the house he sliced his guts and there is so much blood, more blood than in movies even and he doesn't scream because there isn't time and then his throat, ooh he cuts his throat and the blood's in the snow he drags him into the trees and then the slasher sort of howl yelps and that's when I wake up" he had started sweating and his heart was pounding. He wrapped his arms around himself and looked up at Mom.Her eyes were wide and scared. She pulled out a chair and sat down at the table and put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed.

"Tim, three nights in a row, huh?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I wasn't sure that you would take me seriously."

"Alright. I am taking you seriously. I can see that you are scared and so I won't make you go outside. Honey I want you to come to me when you're afraid. Maybe Dad and I can do something to help you or figure out why you would have a dream like that over and over."

"Okay Mom. You don't think I'm crazy?"

She laughed. "No, Timmy. I don't think that. Now finish up your snacks and go destroy that City of Squares."