"What are-" Peeta paused as I pushed him into a seating position on the ground of the camouflage station, "What are you doing?" He whispered to me, evidently unnerved by my enthusiasm.

"Saving your ass, your welcome," I responded, shoving a paintbrush into his arm, and fighting the onset of dizziness and nausea I was feeling, "Seriously, do you know what those idiots did to people?"

Much like Peeta and myself, Brutus and Enobaria had volunteered, not out of some self-sacrificing drama or to save the people they loved. They desired to return to the arena, they lived for the bloodshed it produced, and they were ready to kill again, perhaps even excited for it. Peeta's eyes flicked over to the two, who were sparring viciously, "Seriously, Mellark, look at her teeth, is that someone you want sleeping next to around a campfire?" I added, pointing at the woman without a care in the world.

Finnick stood in the corner with a trident in hand, sensing trouble, he stepped forward to assist, but Atlas pushed him back, whispering in his ear. I got this, I mouthed to him as Peeta looked away.

Don't be stupid he mouthed back with a teasing grin, I poked my tongue out at him, reciprocating his goofy smile before turning back to Peeta, who watched the interaction with raised eyebrows. "You two are close?" He responded conversationally, although the raised pitch in his voice alluded, that we were closer than friends.

We were close, closer than Peeta and Katniss had ever been, probably closer than they would ever be. Unlike Peeta and Katniss, we'd never be able to express that publicly. We were doomed to live the rest of our lives hiding around corners. I glanced back at the man, who was staring at me intently, gripping the trident in his hands so tightly the whites of his knuckles were showing. I snapped back around, fighting the smile off my face, "We have to stick together," I shrugged nonchalantly, "We District Four victors are like family- you'd probably understand that" I acknowledged, running the paint over my forearm intricately.

Peeta's eyes wandered over to Katniss, who was now sitting with the District Three tributes at the fire-starting station. "Yeah, I get that," He responded, staring at her with a soft smile on his face.

For him, at least, it had never been an act, perhaps he had always loved her, the stories he had told her in the cave were true after all. Katniss didn't feel it, at least, not as strongly as Peeta did. But I couldn't resent her for trying to survive, even with the heartbroken expression on Peeta's face. "You really like her, don't you?"

Peeta raised an eyebrow, "Of course I like her, we're engaged,"

I scoffed, pointing a paintbrush in his face, "Don't play innocent with me, pretty boy, I know the people we pretend to be to get through these games," Peeta bit the inside of his cheek and glancing into his lap, "But something tells me you were nothing but yourself, you're still trying to protect her, aren't you?"

"I'll never stop," He responded with a small smile, "Something tells me we have a lot in common,"

I smiled gently, eyes flicking around the room at all the people I cared about, Finnick, Atlas, Lorelei, Johanna- I would give my life for every one of them. "Caring too much could be the death of you, Peeta Mellark," I warned him, standing up from my position.

"Caring too little will be the death of everything I stand for," He said, I smiled at his response, shaking the boy's hand, "I'll see you around Aurora Hartley,"

"Bye Peeta," I smiled, happy to know we at least got along.

Hours passed and our lunch break had only just ended. I sat by the hook making table, barely focused on the techniques Mags had taught me, more so, I was watching the people around me, examining their actions. My District partner from my first games had been extremely proficient at it- it was his observations that had helped me succeed.

Thorn was the reason I was still alive today.

I missed him dearly l, I felt like I'd lost a brother the day I lost him. A part of my soul was attached to that arena, where me bodies of innocent children if slaughtered lay around me. It had come close to destroying me entirely. "Wow," an awkward voice cracked from beside me, disrupting my thoughts.

Katniss stood beside me, her arms folded defensively over her chest, a tentative smile at her lips. "That's beautiful,"

"Mags taught me, my mentor," I responded, smiling fondly at the memory of the older woman who was probably exhausted from helping Ophelia with the children. "She's a lot better at it than I am,"

"If you teach me how to do that, I could teach you how to hunt?" She offered with a shrug.

I smiled at her attempt at allyship, little did she know, she had both my respect and protection without a second thought. If Haymitch believed her worth protecting, then she was, undoubtedly. No matter his sobriety, I would trust that man with my life.

"Thanks, I responded- but I'd rather you show me how you made those snares back in the arena, they're ingenious," I replied nonchalantly, Katniss looked to her feet, her cheeks red at the compliment. She nodded stiffly and I issued her to the empty space beside me, slowly, she began copying my actions as I crafted the fishhook. "Where did you learn to make snares like that?" I asked her.

I noticed the way her face softened "Gale, my best friend, he learnt from Elsie- they were friends before she went into the games with you,"

My face hardened at the memory of the young girl, running up to Beck with excitement holding a finished snare she had created. I pursed my lips my voice breaking as I continued speaking, "Did you know her?"

She nodded stoically, "Only very briefly- she was the kind of girl that made sure everyone in the playground had something to eat, even though she had very little to eat herself," I nodded with understanding, remembering her selfless nature. She had been so young, too young, but even still she had tried to care for people, it was never her job. Perhaps she would have been better off with Haymitch adopting her like he had planned to do, it would have been good for both. Elsie would have been a child a little longer and Haymitch would finally have something to care for. "I saw what you did for that girl, Annie-"

"You did exactly the same thing for your sister." I smiled, repositioning her hands to help her construct the fishhook better, "I couldn't let her come back, not after last time,"

"I remember hers, yours too. Your games meant something to us in District Twelve," she responded.

"Careful what you say," I warned her, nodding at the game makers above us, I locked eyes with Plutarch, whose eyes were bright with amusement. Katniss' eyes followed me to the game makers station, she glared stonily at the men who were chuckling and talking animatedly with each other. "What are you thinking?" I asked her.

Katniss paused, and I examined her mannerisms as she thought about what to say- wondering whether to tell me a lie or the truth. It was understandable not to trust me, how could any of us trust each other? "I think," She began, her arms folded over her chest, "This game is going to be different,"

Oh girl on fire, you have no idea. 

an enemies to lovers Finnick x oc? Or do I need to just shut the hell up and finished this stupid story?